Tracing wire in wall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tracing wire in wall

I thought perhaps conduit was blocking the signal that's why I asked...

Comment

I have the same toner unit and used it for years when in the Telco industry. I have since used it in the method that Newman is suggesting and worked great. I actually just did the same thing about 2 months ago with some 12/2 wire in the basement and it worked great. I wonder if perhaps the batteries are low in either the unit or wand side? You did verify the wires are not shorted? Even with the volume turned to high when using mine with telephone wire I could get the signal radiating from the Dmarc from a couple feet away. With larger diameter electrical copper wire the signal distance is even further in my experience.
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Problem solved !!!!

The tracer did pick up the signal for about 20 feet, but it disappeared after, and I was under the delusion that this wire was going all the way to the breaker panel. I made the assumption that it was somehow buried deeper in the wall and the tracer did not get enough signal strength.

I borrowed a 3M instrument that tells you how long the wire connected to it is, and I was told 27', which would be 60' short from the breaker box.

As it turned out, I opened the wall at the point where the signal stopped and found a junction box that was meant to be an electrical outlet, but the drywallers just covered it and did not cut out the opening. As soon as I connected the wires inside this box, everything got to work properly.

Thanks for all the tips.
        Frank sigpic

Comment

Congrats Frank. That is the same problem I had when I used mine the basement. Only problem is I did the drywall, so no one to blame but.......
          Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Frank

Good job there. I bet you feel like *&^^%$# the drywall guys now. I'm glad you figured it out and have things working.

Comment

Right on. And on top of it, now I have to fix the drywall where I cut a hole. Fortunately it is only a 5x5 opening (I have large hands ).
              Frank sigpic

Comment

Just to hide the hole for now, you might look for a JUMBO <aka> GOOF 2 gang blank wall plate in say ivory or white plastic. It's not a good fix but it will cover the hole.

Comment

No intention to hide it. It is being fixed properly, and when it's done, one will not be able to tell that there was a hole in the wall before. I am a great believer in the "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right".
                  Frank sigpic

Comment

Glad the TDR did the job. I read this thread the other day and couldn't come up with anything different to try than others had suggested. It didn't even down on me to think about a TDR to measure the cable length.

Like PapaDan says: "My mind is not what it used to be...and another thing; My mind..."
                    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Great news - I knew I wasn't imagining things...

Just remember that by code you can't have a live junction box covered up behind a wall - so either put a cover plate over it, or use it as a receptacle.

Comment

Why did not the inspector or the electrician find the problem before?
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                          Why did not the inspector or the electrician find the problem before?

Too much weed need oxygen...

Comment

We have not yet done the final inspection. As a matter of fact, this was one of the problems that needed to be fixed before we can call for the final.

And yes, this was intended to be an electrical outlet, which is now installed and functioning.
                            Frank sigpic

Comment

Frank,

what was the device that you used to measure the wire length?

thanks in advance for your reply

Comment

A friend, who is an installer for Bell Canada brought this handheld instrument over, I am not sure what the model or name is, but I saw a 3M logo on it. He hooked it to the wire and it showed on the display how long it was.
                                Frank sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X