X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tracing wire in wall

Originally posted by franklie View Post
    Frank,

what was the device that you used to measure the wire length?

thanks in advance for your reply

It's called a TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer) and there are many makes. Just do a google serch for TDR meter...

Comment

Absolutely right. This is the one he used:

http://www.3m.com/intl/hk/english/so...20Bulletin.pdf
      Frank sigpic

Comment

So I want to get electricity to my shed and am in the process of tracing my panel so I keep the electrician's time (and price) to a minimum...It seems to me that I have located the circuit for each and every power consumer in my house, but there are three circuits breakers that have wires connected...so I got under the house (New Orleans) and found that all leave the panel in the same punch out and go up the inside of the exterior wall that the panel hangs on (right behind it). One wire is the old fabric insulated wire (under the impression that this had all been replaced ,one is new romex but may be spliced (w/out junction box , a few inches up...hard to see, and the third appears to be new romex (at least as far as I can see...a few inches). Any ideas on power consumers that I might have missed? Can I use the probe and receiver (77HP and 200EP) afore mentioned to trace these...my voltage detector signals power in these wires.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Also...since I have found the unit on-line and am still a bit confused about how to use it, can someone give me the dum dum guide to how it works (esp. how it hooks up) and how I'll go about using it since I know where the wires start (the circuit box) and want to know where they go. Thanks in advance from the dum dum.

Comment

Working...
          X