X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric plate

I was screwing a electrical plate and used the screw that came with it.I screwed it in and it kept on spining.After looking closer at it i noted that the screw wosnt long enoght tor the hole.I tried a longer screw and it cracked the plate.What should I Do.

Re: Electric plate

Well first of all maybe you should not be screwing electrical plates....LOL
    All kidding aside, You will have to get a new plate, this one is cracked so that won't look good. Get a new plate but make sure the outlet is not too deep into the box. If the outlet is too deep in the box and you tighten the screw too much, the plate will crack every time!! Adjust the outlet so that the screw tightens without cracking the plate. Lou

Comment

Rather than the ElCheepo plastic plates, try to find a nice Nylon one. They are tuffer and harder to crack. You'll most likely need to go to an electrical supply house, but now and then I've seen them at larger ACE hardware stores. The other choice would be a painted (or other finish) steel plate. Remember not to over tighten the screws. Just snug, but no grunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Gage Mc. View Post
        I was screwing a electrical plate and used the screw that came with it.I screwed it in and it kept on spining.After looking closer at it i noted that the screw wosnt long enoght tor the hole.I tried a longer screw and it cracked the plate.What should I Do.

For a self-proclaimed handyman, you sure aren’t very handy. Perhaps you should put down the tools and take up cooking or something more up your alley…

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
          For a self-proclaimed handyman, you sure aren’t very handy. Perhaps you should put down the tools and take up cooking or something more up your alley…

Ouch!!

+1 on the nylon plates though. I'm pretty sure the regular plastic ones are made specifically for us DIY'ers to break them. heh.

Of course, I think I've only broken one. That was enough to realize you have to be careful with them, and when buying new ones I've made a point of getting the nylon ones. HD sells them.

Comment

how about if the longer screw is to long make it shorter but not as short as the short one
            or stop when the plate does not move not until the screw stops
            Last edited by HVAC HAWK; 03-24-2007, 12:14 PM.
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

You have said the same thing twice and I can't figure out quite what you are describing here.
              Find me on google or use the link below and go to my website.
              Get my phone number and call me so I can help you get this straight.
              Licensed Philadelphia electrician
              Philadelphia emergency lighting certification

Comment

All that Gage Mc needs to do is buy another plate and be careful installing it. There are some pretty crappy plastic plates that bust up easy. I try hard to stay away from them. He would do well to buy some #6-32 OVAL head screws in different lengths just in case he needs them. I would go with 2 each in 1/2. 3/4 and 1 inch. If the Oval heads ones aren't sold where he goes, flat head screws work pretty well normally.

Now I think it's time we stop going apeus over a plate that costs less than $1.00 to replace.

Comment

Thanks guys,I went to ace and got longer cover plate screws.

Comment

I'm curious now... since the plates attach directly to the outlets and not to the box around them... if the screw was too short, meaning the outlet or box was too recessed into the wall... how does it look now? With the plate on, is the outlet flush with the plate or is it recessed a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                      Man thats kinda cruel, you know...

someone might have to eat that cooking

Comment

We aren't sure what this plate is for. Normally they attach to the device, but think about a blank plate. What does it attach to? I'm sure everyone knows the answer.
                        Last edited by Woussko; 03-31-2007, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Longer screws will cause, not solve a problem. That being said, standard receptacles and switches use a longer screw than decorator receptacles and switches.

The screw that came with the coverplate is not to short. It is the correct length to hold the cover snug against the receptacle.

The problem is the location of the receptacle with respect to the finished wall. But then, a handy man would know that.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThom View Post
                            The problem is the location of the receptacle with respect to the finished wall.
                            Now why didn't my old brain engage and think of that. Sure, there's the problem.

Comment

Give the Guy a break,

Ever one has a bad day,

He has the smarts to come to a place to find an answer, that is a good sign of intelligence,

yes to some the problem he experienced is a very simple problem, but if you have never ran into that before one may not know how to work with the problem, and if the box was not set right, why not, and if it was a remodel with addition material added over the wall, then why did not the remodelling contractor set the receptacle or switch out correctly,

I would guess this is a problem that many run into with out a good idea of how to shim out or space out the receptacle or switch.

below is are a few pictures of Quick Fix Spacers by GARDNER BENDER
                              Adjusts length of receptacle or switches for proper fit of face plates, there less than $4 a package, basically a plastic spacer.

The one that uses a spring last looks like the most Hi tec way, http://<br /> http://www.technology...roduct_ID=1778

here is another discussion on the problem, with some Ideas,
                              http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...2149531.html?5
                              Attached Files
                              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                              attributed to Samuel Johnson
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
                              X