Buzzing sound from fluorescent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzing sound from fluorescent

I have a fluorescent lamp that seems to be buzzing. I assume it may be the ballast itself so I looked up the model name and came with this:

http://yongfaxrz.en.alibaba.com/prod...s/Ballast.html
    Any possiblity of fixing or replacing it?

Re: Buzzing sound from fluorescent

Please look at the tube(s) in the fixture. How many are there and please post the info on the tube(s) near one end. You need to be sure they do match. If the one on the link does match they you've solved your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      Please look at the tube(s) in the fixture. How many are there and please post the info on the tube(s) near one end. You need to be sure they do match. If the one on the link does match they you've solved your problem.
      It's a twin tube 2-pin fluorescent; the very same one that came stock with the lamp. I'm not sure if that answers your question or not.

Comment

After having it on a few minutes take a listen. Normally it is the ballast that will BZZZZZZ. They have laminated iron plates with a coil of wire. If the iron plates start to loosen up then BZZZZZ. If it's not too loud yet (bothers you) maybe let it be and find out if it gets worse. If it is a loud buz then replace it. Use care wiring it up.

Comment

Originally posted by iflabs View Post
          It's a twin tube 2-pin fluorescent; the very same one that came stock with the lamp. I'm not sure if that answers your question or not.

You probably have an old fixture with t12 bulbs.The number after the t is the number of 1/8 ths the bulb is.Get a fixture with electronic ballast and t8 bulbs.(1"0) They are much quieter and more efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by nobody1 View Post
            ...The number after the t is the number of 1/8 ths the bulb is...
            Thanks for that info, only 7:40 and I have already learned something today

Comment

As nobody1 wrote, all bulbs are listed 1/8 inch, measured on the side
              A is for ARBITRARY - (the arbitrary name for the shape of a normal incandescent bulb) as in - A19 normal, A21 slightly larger 3 way
              G is for GLOBE - big and small ball shaped found in bathroom mirrors
              T is for TUBULAR - mostly fluorescents T12, T8, and the new T5 (super cool, makes T8 obsolete)
              PAR is for PARABOLIC ALUMINUMIZED REFLECTOR - halogen spot lights
              R is for REFLECTOR - common incandescent spot lights
              There are more out there, just can’t think of them now.

Chuck

Comment

For what this may be worth, there are electronic ballasts for use with T12 tubes. While I like changing to T8 tubes and electronic ballasts sometimes for $$$ reasons it's good just to upgrade the ballast and use up your T12 tubes.

As for buzzing, you may want to try grabbing the tubes when there's buzzing. If that quiets them, be sure they are properly installed. Give them a little rotation. Normally it's a magnetic ballast that needs replacing.

By the way sometimes with pear shape light bulbs you'll see something like 40A15/IF This is a pear shape light bulb of 40 Watts at rated Voltage and at the fattest part it is 15/8 inches diameter. Such is used on appliances. A more normal size would be A19. In Wattages above 100 the A21 and A23 sizes are common. There are 300 Watt up to 1000 Watt (sometimes even higher) bulbs with a PS shape. It's like the A type but with a longer neck. If anyone is interested, I'll post a link to a large lamp catalog with more info.
                Last edited by Woussko; 06-11-2008, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X