Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Light bulbs burn too fast

Clato

Do you have any updates for us on this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
      I had the same problem, my bulbs would blow out in a day or 2, or up to 3 months. Fluorescents wouldn't work at all, if I put them in, they would blow that day. My problem was my dimmer switch, now that I replaced it everything works great, except the fluorescents style bulbs if they are set at high they work fine, dim it any and they go out.
      Most dimmers will not support fluorescent lamps, unless they specifically say so as I recall.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Didn't know that back when, but I sure do now. My fixture has worked great, since I have changed switches. Everybody thanks for the tip.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

If the bulbs are enclose so as to restrict air flow ,they will be overly hot..... this condition shortens life expectancy considerably. I have seen a number of lamps and fan configuations that are badly designed contributing to this .

§m€llŸ™
          §m€llŸ™

Comment

Just an update. I took apart the fixture and checked the connections. I replaced the crimp connector on the neutral with a wire nut and tightened the #$%^ out of it. Put new bulbs and wrote down the date. We'll see what happens.

Clato

Comment

3 weeks and no burned bulbs yet! Of course I know better than to bet the farm .

Clato

Comment

I'm assuming you're talking about incondesent bulbs .Does the light flicker ?
                Check voltage Between the hot terminal in the center and the neutral ( the silver threaded part that holds the bace of the bulb ) you should read atleast 110v to 120v ,if less , then you could have a loose conection someware , or a bad breaker or loose terminal in the panel . Sometimes inside light sockets the center terminal bends down and looses contact . If so , turn off power and pry up terminal with a screw driver or a paint can opener .

Comment

Also check the bulb socket for loose bulb tabs and connections. They are riveted together and very common not to be tight. Kill the power to it. Then reach into the socket with needle nose pliers if you can easily rock the center tab sideways then replace the socket. If it is discolored that is a sign that it is bad.

Comment

Originally posted by scoto View Post
                    I'm assuming you're talking about incondesent bulbs .Does the light flicker ?
                    Check voltage Between the hot terminal in the center and the neutral ( the silver threaded part that holds the bace of the bulb ) you should read atleast 110v to 120v ,if less , then you could have a loose conection someware , or a bad breaker or loose terminal in the panel . Sometimes inside light sockets the center terminal bends down and looses contact . If so , turn off power and pry up terminal with a screw driver or a paint can opener .
                    Voltage is good, and the lights didn't flicker. I'm still monitoring the lights to see if the neutral was somehow compromised.

Clato

Comment

I didn't go back to the beginning of the discusion .We're talking about a ceiling fan light.All your other lights in the house ,I assume are O.K. 130v bulbs was a good try .I'm still thinking a loose connection or contact of some kind .You could get a new light kit to fit your fan ,I don't think it would be to expensive . If that doesn't solve the problem , you will know the problem is deeper in your electrical system .

Comment

Just an update on the light issue. I took apart the fixture and replaced the crimp connector on the neutral with a wire nut. Looks like the problem has gone away. Been a few months and no burned bulbs!

Thanks Guys!

Clato

Comment

Working...
                        X