Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light bulbs burn too fast

Good day all,

I have a ceiling fan/light fixture that will go through bulbs way too fast. The house is not that old, say 10 years. Voltage is OK, I even tried the industrial 130 V bulbs without much luck. Any suggestions? Could it just be the fixture?

Clato

Re: Light bulbs burn too fast

Try light bulbs that are made for "Vibration Service" in it. They should last longer. At home centers they normally are called "Garage Door Opener" bulbs. Be sure the size will work and watch the Wattage. Another idea is to check at a more electrical distributor type of place for "Ruff Service" bulbs under the part number of 50A/RS provided you can use standard A19 size bulbs and that 50 Watts is OK. Sometimes you are limited to no more than 40 Watts and only the smaller A15 size. Phillips makes the 50A/RS type and sometimes Home Depot has them. Also some larger auto parts stores may have them for use in Trouble/Work lights.

Do they all seem really bright in this fixture? Are you sure on the actual Voltage at the fixture? If you have something else on the same circuit, try taking Voltage readings with the fan off and also running.

If you need to use size A15 and 40 Watt or lower, try looking for packages that say for "Appliance Service" on them. Mostly I find any that say they are for ceiling fans are the junky grade and then simply don't last. I hope this helps some.
    Last edited by Woussko; 03-26-2007, 03:27 PM.

Comment

I have been using compact flourescents is all mine - even GDO and none have died since moving here April 2006 (GDO is quite dim in the winter)

Comment

If you can use regular A19 size light bulbs, these by Sylvania should last longer as long as your fan doesn't vibrate much when running. 11388 - 60A/52/SS/XL You'll want to go for 130 Volt ones which will be about 46 Watts running on 120 Volts. You'll need to try electrical supply houses as this is not a hardware store or home center item. You should be able to buy just a few and not a case lot.

Comment

Make sure you are not exceeding the rated wattage. Heat is usually the cause of premature bulb failure and too high a wattage bulb will be too much heat for the fixture. If the fan is shaking bad enough to blow bulbs then you must balance it before it yanks the mountings out of the cieling.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

The fan is usually running at low to medium speed and doesn't shake. MOF it rarely runs during the winter even though I have it on reverse rotation (others in the family don't believe me that it circulates the hot air down from the high ceiling!) So with the fan not running it still will burn the bulbs. BTW, the light and fan is on a separate switch on the wall not using the switch in the fan. I usually use 60w or less (usually 40 as there is 4 on the fixture) as 60w is max for the fixture. I'll double check the voltage and maybe try the flourescents or the rough service as suggested.]

We'll see what happens.

Thanks,

Clato

Comment

I've tried the "fan bulbs" and they suck as bad as a regular bulb. I"m lucky to get a month on them! I went to the flourescent ones and the are still going strong! Every time a regular bulb goes, it gets replaced with a new flourescent! It's the new great thing! LOL

Mark
              Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

clato: Everyone is talking about the bulbs/fan, but no one has mentioned the wiring. Have you checked the connections? I know from experience that a loose neutral connection will burn out bulbs faster than you can replace them. (well, almost faster) If there is other devices on the same circuit, check every place there is a connection. Jim

Comment

I had the same problem, my bulbs would blow out in a day or 2, or up to 3 months. Fluorescents wouldn't work at all, if I put them in, they would blow that day. My problem was my dimmer switch, now that I replaced it everything works great, except the fluorescents style bulbs if they are set at high they work fine, dim it any and they go out.
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
                    clato: Everyone is talking about the bulbs/fan, but no one has mentioned the wiring. Have you checked the connections? I know from experience that a loose neutral connection will burn out bulbs faster than you can replace them. (well, almost faster) If there is other devices on the same circuit, check every place there is a connection. Jim
                    I hadn't thought of a "loose" connection. I'll have to give that a shot. sounds logical. I have the crimp style connectors with the caps instead of wire nuts. I thought those would not have problems with comming loose.

Thanks,

Clato

Comment

Try the same bulb or brand and type as you have in the fan also in a table lamp on another circuit. Do the ones in the fan ever look brighter? Do they ever change brightness for no good reason?

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                        Try the same bulb or brand and type as you have in the fan also in a table lamp on another circuit. Do the ones in the fan ever look brighter? Do they ever change brightness for no good reason?
                        I usually purchase bulbs by the case. So they are all the same. No they don't change brightness (just burn out)...

Clato

Comment

Clato,
                          Just had a customer who had lights burning out in a regular ceiling fixture (not a fan/fixture) in his office. I took the fixture apart and checked all the connections -- they were fine. Wiring had insulation burned off in tiny places and there apparently was some arc faulting going on in the fixture -- enough that the bulbs would burn out, but not enough to trip a breaker (circuit was not on an arc fault circuit breaker). The caution here is not only check the wiring connections, also look closely at the wiring itself. That could be causing the problem. If you switch from the crimp style to wire nuts (or merrits) just remember that all you need for a good tight connection is to bend the tip of the SOLID wire just slightly so the exposed wire is not perfectly straight. Hold the stranded wire next to it (you don't have to twist the two together prior to insertion into the wire nut). Put the wire nut over the two held close together and screw it on. Unless it's on a 100-ton hammermill that wire nut won't be coming off at all.

Garager, just a short note for you. Fluorescent lights, whether they are compact fluorescent or the straight tube fluorescent or the u-tube, will NOT work at all with a dimmer switch.

Jim Don

Comment

Fluorescent lights will work with special dimmers and an additional special ballast. The cost for such will make you back down fast. You can dim them some using a Variable transformer or a step down transformer, but it is limited. Again cost gets in the way.

I think this may be where a special type of light bulb is needed. 130 Volt rated, vibration resistant and gas filled for longer life. An idea would be to carefully connect up an AC Volt meter right at the lamp socket and measure Voltage there. I would recommend using a TRUE RMS digital.

Sylvania numbers: 11092 - 25A/RS = 25 Watt, 130 Volt Ruff Service, regular A19 size. and 14072 - 50A/RS = The same but 50 Watt. At 120 Volts they would be running at 21.3 and 42.6 Watts. They won't be too bright, but should last longer.
                            Last edited by Woussko; 04-14-2007, 03:31 PM.

Comment

There are fluorescent fixtures with electronic dimmable ballasts and dimmer switches. I've installed 6" dimmable fluorescent cans with 4 pin flourescent lamps and Lutron dimmer switches. They're over $100 for the can, lamp, and ballast.

Comment

Working...
                              X