Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you run 120v and 12v cables side by side?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you run 120v and 12v cables side by side?

I am rewiring my travel trailer and wondering can I run both cables in the same conduit or raceway? not sure if one would cause EMI or other problems.

options
    1) run 2 seperate conduits?
    2) use shielded wire for both runs?

Thanks
    Mike

Re: Can you run 120v and 12v cables side by side?

As far as I know, its not a code issue.

When in college, (Mechanical Engineering) I remember that it is considered a very bad practice to route AC and DC cabling in the same couduit when a inverter is involved or if you have any solenoid valves due to EMI (radiated noise).

I do recall something about using 600volt insulated cabling does help with the noise problems.

Not real sure why it screws with the inverters!

I must have been hung-over that day, week, month, year

Maybe someone else will chime in who has experience with this.

Personally, if space was not a big issue, I would just run two conduits and move on to the next project.

REgards and good luck.

Comment

I think for safety reasons it would be good not to run them together just in case someone connected the a black wire for the 120 Volt AC system to a black wire for the 12 Volt DC system. You sure don't want that to ever happen.
      Last edited by Woussko; 04-13-2007, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Those wheeled houses are exposed to a lot of critter chew and road wiggle, chewed and worn wires of different voltage could come together if in close proximity

Comment

I can tell you this, It is NOT allowable for instance to run a telephone line and a 120V AC wire in the same conduit (raceway). In most areas it is NOT acceptable to even run a TV coax or telephone line in the same hole drilled in a stud with a romex or other 120V cable. They make us drill separate holes in studs for telephone,coax and thermostat wires. Now I do believe if you use wire that has the same 600V insulation, you may be able to run the 12DC in the same conduit. There might be an exception when the insulation on the wire is of the same as the 120V wire. Lou

Comment

Working...
          X