X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this called?

I found this thing in my basement ceiling when running some pipes. It was in my way so I cut it out like any good plumber would do Some of you old timers might know what its called and it's purpose. My house used to have the "knob and tube" wiring, is it from that era?
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 05-24-2007, 06:36 PM.

Re: What's this called?

Hmmmm, Maybe a lightning diverter? Looks like 2 "lines" with a ground lug in the center and capped off? Interesting!
    Don't toss it, it may be worth a grand on eBay to some collector! LOL I'll give ya 10 bucks for it!

Mark
    Last edited by The Wood Meister; 04-15-2007, 10:14 AM.
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

LOOOL!! lightning diverter????..are you making that up?

$20 bucks and it's yours I'll even pay for shipping

Comment

ROFLMAO!!! I'm just shooting in the dark here. All I know is from taking a guess. Big giant wires for a huge load, the cap does not make any connection that I can tell. The huge center lug with the porcelin maked "G" so I'm assuming "ground". A hard lightning strike would send the bolt to the center lug and then to ground?????

$20????? Hmm, you take PayPal?

Mark
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

What you have is a telephone line protector. Note the emgraving, Western Electric, on the porcelin base. The line coming from the street terminates in the bottom (as your first picture is oriented), the house wiring terminates on the top. The 2 long red items are fuses to protect from an over current problem. Under the srew in cap you would have 2 small corbon and 2 porcelin blocks. These provides a small air gap to ground to provide overvoltage protection. Similar devices are still located in your home today ie: Network Interface; although the packinging is radically different.

Comment

Was I atleast close? LOL "Overvoltage" could be lightning couldn't it!

I did some enhancing on the image and found this!!!

Last edited by The Wood Meister; 04-15-2007, 11:55 AM.

Comment

OMG!!! I nearly peed myself laughing at that

Comment

rjniles has it right

That's something that I'm sure a Verizon tech would love to have for his collection of antiques. It's what's called a Spark Gap Lightening Arrester. Show it to someone that's an old Ham Radio Guy and he'll remember them. Their's normally didn't have fuses. You'll lucky your's isn't a burned up mess inside. Can you read any of the info on the fuses? By the way I hope all of your knob and tube electricals are totally disconnected. If they are still in your home, leave them and please take and post pictures. That was from the days when people didn't fear electricity nearly enough.

That device was from the old Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. days before Bell Atlantic, which is now part of Verizon the big hogger.
                Last edited by Woussko; 04-15-2007, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Spark Gap Lightening Arrester

I rest my case!!! What do I win????

Comment

Woussko's right on. As usual. My old man worked for Wisc. Bell before he retired, and I've seen a zillion of those things in a variety of formats. Yes. It's a lightening arrestor. Also, I believe a similar interface was used on the old lightening rod systems that were used on farms years ago.
                    Jim Don

Comment

I'd still like to have it!!! Really!!!

Comment

Ive already boxed it up and will put postage on it tomorrow. No need to pay me for it just mention my name when someone asks you about it.

This has given me a great idea for a new thread: Guess What This Is. We all have old and oddball things in our shop. Post up a pic and we all take a guess as to what it is. Funniest and original answer wins the item!!
                        Last edited by plumberscrack; 04-15-2007, 08:19 PM. Reason: typing before my brain has a chance to catch up

Comment

Do you now my address? LOL

I like the idea of the game too. I'm sure I could find some oddball thing of little or no use at all that someone else might like to have! LOL
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                            This has given me a great idea for a new thread: Guess What This Is. We all have old and oddball things in our shop. Post up a pic and we all take a guess as to what it is. Funniest and original answer wins the item!!
                            Great idea --- I think it might be good that the winner needs to correctly identify the item. I'm sure we could really come up with some wild items.

Jim, Thanks for your comment.

plumberscrack, You already started the thread for us. "What's this called" We can all just keep adding to it.
                            Last edited by Woussko; 04-15-2007, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wood Meister View Post
                              Do you now my address? LOL

Mark
                              I put your avatar pic on the delivery label and let the postman find you. Ill bet if he's seen you he knows exactly where you live

p.s. yes you pm me your address this morning

Comment

Working...
                              X