X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how deep

I live in Northern Illinois and neede to bury a wire for a small swimming pool. If I use outdoor wire and put it inside gray plastric pipe how deep does it have to be. It is a 115volt pool pump.
    Please check out my web page
    www.woodandwax.net

Re: how deep

Here in New York, regular UF cable should be buried at least 18" deep, not so much for temperature but for the errant shovel or pick axe. If using conduit, either plastic or metal, the depth can be decreased, but that may vary by municipality. I'd check with a local building official.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
      I'd check with a local building official.

that is always good advice
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

In Phoenix and where I live now it is 24" if in PVC conduit or UG cable.. Unless it will be under a permanent fixture like a patio slab or something. I believe it was 12" if it is in ridgid conduit.

But I am not an expert sparky nor claim to be one. I'd agree with the others above that you check with your local officials.
        Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

Use UF cable and go 18", no need to put it in pipe. Sleeve the wire as it exits theground with PVC only at that point to protect the wire when it is exposed. Use a GFI breaker. More than likely if you have a newer pool motor, it will have a twist lock plug on it. Use a Tay-Mac cover on the outlet box or equivelent. But be sure the circuit is GFCI protected. Lou

Comment

Hey Guys thanks for all great information. I don't suppose any of you would like to come bury the wire and set up the pool out of the kindness of your hearts.
            www.woodandwax.net

Comment

i would but you are 15 miles out of my 1500 mile kindness of your heart raduis. sorry

lol
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                i would but you are 15 miles out of my 1500 mile kindness of your heart raduis. sorry

lol
                But I am well within that radius, Let me see what I can come up with that needs to be done and I will give you a shout

Comment

Originally posted by sauk_98 View Post
                  Hey Guys thanks for all great information. I don't suppose any of you would like to come bury the wire and set up the pool out of the kindness of your hearts.

I'll do it! Should I bring my Speedo or can I just borrow yours?

Comment

I'll loan you both speedos and tanning lotion
                    www.woodandwax.net

Comment

Ok, you guys are getting weird on us. Where's your self control ???
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by sauk_98 View Post
                        I'll loan you both speedos and tanning lotion

ummmm eww
                        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Robert Wilber
                          Licensed Philadelphia Electrician
                          Philadelphia License # 3516 - 16765

NEC Table 300.5 Column 4
                          Residential branch circuits rated 120 volts or less with GFI protection and Max overcurrent protection of 20 amps.

In trench below 2" of concrete - 6 inches

One and two family dwelling driveways and outdoor parking areas for dwelling related purposes only - 12 inches

Otherwise - 12 inches [with some exceptions that don't appply here]

Always check with the AHJ [Authority having jurisdiction] - you can never be sure WHAT rules they have added themselves. Remember that Code is the minimum
                          Licensed Philadelphia electrician
                          Philadelphia emergency lighting certification

Comment

Working...
                          X