X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Explosion

Evening Guys. (Well its mid day where you guys are)
    Will a light switch arc each and every time it is flicked on or off.
    Lets say I left my gas cooker on by mistake and walked into the room and switched on the light switch.
    Is an explosion guranteed ?
    Many thanks .

Re: Gas Explosion

no, there are many diffeant types of switches some are designed not to spark where as the real cheap ones spark more often then not. the middle of the line switches are about 50/50 one weather they will or wont. but there are many other things that can set off the gas i would say 30-65% of the time you would get a boom
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Interesting question....What are you planning?

Pardon my suspicious nature, but it sounds more like you're looking for a source of ignition rather than trying to be safe. Maybe you should rethink what you're trying to do.

If I've misinterpreted (and I hope I have), then you have my apology,

CWS

Comment

No no planning nothing.
        My elderly father left the gas on a few times on the kitchen hob and I entered the space and smelled the gas.
        Obviously I turned the gas off (propane) straight away and opened all the doors and windows.
        Didn't turn any lights on as this was during daylight hours.
        If it had been night time I may have turned on the lights.
        Thanks for the re assurance.

Comment

Natural gas will ignite at about 14% mixture. Propane I think is pretty close to that. Too little gas nothing too much gas nothing. I know that 14% doesn't sound like much but you will start getting nauseaus and vomiting long before it reaches that level. Don't believe what you see in the movies.

Comment

Propane is heavier than air so it will flow into basement or low areas before it gets up as high as the switch

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              Natural gas will ignite at about 14% mixture. Propane I think is pretty close to that. Too little gas nothing too much gas nothing. I know that 14% doesn't sound like much but you will start getting nauseaus and vomiting long before it reaches that level. Don't believe what you see in the movies.

very good pc.

4% is the low end and 14% is the high end.

propane is almost identical.

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

The limits of flammability of Natural gas are 5-15%, Propane is 2.3-9.5%, Natural gas has a specific gravity of 0.6, Propane is 1.5, Natural gas has a ignition temperature of 1200F, Propane 950F, Natural gas calorific value is 1000 btu/cuft Propane 2500 btu/cuft. Propane is far more dangerous than Natural gas, don't tell Hank Hill that I don't know about your codes down south but up here all Propane appliances excluding BBQs must be equipped with 100% safe hook ups. IMO you have an unsafe appliance.
                You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

i would like to retract my answer from earlyer and replace it with hondaheads answer if that is ok with everyone.

psst. it would make me sound smarter than i am
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Honda, he is about 3900 miles east of you

Comment

Don't fool with this at all. Static electricity generated by you walking into a room can, and has set off natural gas explosions. You do not necessarily need to flip a light switch to get a boom. Also, as others mentioned, the gas is heavier than air and will flow to the lowest possible spot. If you have a basement (and I don't know how homes are constructed in Ireland so excuse my ignorance), you may have other natural gas appliances with a pilot light like either a water heater and/or a furnace. Get enough of that natural gas or propane flowing into and pooling into a low spot and you won't need a light switch or static electricity to set it off, the pilot light on one of those two appliances will take care of and act as the ignition source. Also, the time of year will have an effect. Drier and more likely to have static build up in winter -- also doors and windows closed to keep gas in and concentrations higher. Spring and summer, less static (usually), windows and doors open more, and harder for gas to build up to dangerous levels. In either case, this is a potentially dangerous situation which is not to be taken lightly. Please find a fix now.
                      Jim Don

Comment

Originally posted by wbrooks View Post
                        Honda, he is about 3900 miles east of you
                        My bad.

JimDon

If you read my previous post you will note "Natural gas has a specific gravity of 0.6, Propane is 1.5"

Natural gas is lighter than air, Propane is heavier.

Good point about static electricity, its probably the most common source of ignition.
                        You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Norplumb

This is a serious issue. About the only real way to deal with the problem of an older family member leaving gas on, it so be rid of the source of the problem. It might really be wise for you to think about either finding a way to keep him out of the kitchen or to remove the gas stove and change to electric.

For now, if they sell them in your area (We have them here in the USA) is to buy battery powered gas leak detectors. Such devices would only really help if there's someone around to quickly shut off the gas. Weather permitting you may want to leave a kitchen window partly open and rig up a way to keep it from being opened by someone trying to enter the house from outside.

I recommend getting rid of the gas stove in this case. Get rid of hazards and you may save lives.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            very good pc.
                            4% is the low end and 14% is the high end.
                            propane is almost identical.

rick.
                            So you are saying it can ignite at 4% I did not know that. Thought it was much closer to 14%

WAIT!! did I just learn something? OMG!

Comment

Working...
                            X