X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power to garage

After building my deck I need to run a new line out to the garage. I know I have to be 12" underground if I use the gray PVC my question is am I allowed to drill through the (non technical term here) the outside joist of the house, or do I have to run it through the concrete block wall? Al my neighbors have their running through the block, but Im curious if it has to be done that way? Im planning on using 12 gauge so I can use a 20 amp circuit, but until I get the existing 14 out of the garage I will put it all on a 15 amp breaker, and change to 20 once the garage is rewired.

The old line would make any electrician, or gardener cringe with fear. There was 1 10' section of conduit. Part of that was above ground attached to the old porch. I could see the bend in the conduit and once the line was disconnected I gave the conduit a pull by hand. About 3" under the ground was the rest of the conduit, but it was all rusted through. Once that was out of the ground it was just plain 14 gauge romex still just inches below the grass.

Re: Power to garage

Yes you can go through the joist above the concrete. Elbow up then put an LB going in. I'm not sure if you are allowed to run the lights off a 20 amp. In the garages I've done it was done with a twenty amp circuit for outlets and a 15 for lights.

You might want to consider setting the conduit 2 feet deep and larger then you need that way you would have other options if you wanted them like being able to add 220 power.

Comment

Re: Power to garage

Larger conduit is a good idea. And don't forget to leave a drag line in place in the conduit before backfilling. If you want to add a line to the garage for something later, the drag is already there.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

No problem ...

Putting lights on a twenty amp circuit is ok [just so it isn't the kitchen or laundry circuit ...]
        Licensed Philadelphia electrician
        Philadelphia emergency lighting certification

Comment

Working...
        X