X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Too Wild

Have a look at this item for sale on eBay. This is a true antique. It's from the days of when people had a bank of glass vat lead-acid batteries in their garage/shed for electric power in farm houses and more than likely a DELCO-LIGHT engine generator to charge them up. Please note that this drill was made to run on 32 Volts D C. This is a wild find for sure.

See nameplate picture below.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-BLACK-AN...QQcmdZViewItem
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Woussko; 06-02-2007, 11:37 PM.

Re: Just Too Wild

That's really cool

I guess it would be powered by something like this...

Last edited by Newman; 06-03-2007, 02:32 AM.

Comment

You guys just find the neatest sh!t.
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Or like these two below. I wish I could find a good total package picture showing the big glass vat lead-acid cells. A battery is two or more cells connected together. The total package used the battery bank for power and the engine-generator to recharge them. From what I've been told recharging was done overnight when people were sleeping. The slow speed (by today's standards) engine didn't make much noise. Some sort of a Voltage regulator was used to keep for overcharging. Some fancy models would automatically startup, charge the battery bank and then shut down when done.

The second picture is someone's (not mine) drawing showing the cells making up the battery. 16 lead-acid cells would give a nominal Voltage of 32. When charging the generator would need to put out around 36-38 Volts to get the job done.

I need to sort though my old photos as I'm sure I have some of a setup and working Delco-Light Plant with the battery bank. I can remember seeing several household appliances made to run on 32 Volts DC. These (from memory) included vacuum cleaner, floor standing radio, toaster (very crude in design) clothes washer of the old ringer type and more. As for light bulbs, you can still buy them if you look hard. It's easier to use (3) 12 Volt lamps connected in series.

Railroads use a 50 Watt, 34 Volt rated light bulb for backup lighting in passanger cars. These may be quite outdated now. Also, locomotive headlamps are in many cases rated at 38 Volts. My bet is that today they are using some wild gas discharge lamp for the headlamps on them. They are doing it on some new YUPPEE cars. Have you ever been really blasted in your eyes by them? I have and and wanted to shoot them out.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Woussko; 06-03-2007, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X