X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12v question on RV

Not quite sure where to post this but figured someone here could lead me in the right direction.

I have a cabover camper on my '86 Chevy truck. When we got the truck, it had a place for a second battery, which ran to the camper. It was not hooked up to the charging system so I went to the RV store and got a solonoid and ran an ignition "trigger" lead to it, then pulled another charge wire off the back of the alternator, then on to the battery. It works fine, BUT, after thinking about this, if one battery is "up" and one is "down", won't the alternator see the combined voltage and charge accordingly? Like the main battery is 14 and the camper is 11, won't it sense 12.5 and just charge a little? Won't this end up overcharging the 14v battery and not charge the 11v battery enough?

I've considered installing a "battery isolator" in place of the solonoid since they seem to send the charging current to the battery that needs it.

LIke this thing.

Is my thinking goofy or ????

Mark
    Last edited by Jmark; 06-07-2007, 01:26 PM. Reason: added image

Re: 12v question on RV

Com'on....it's been hours, surely someone has an idea on this? LOL

Mark

Comment

You have the idea. Get and install the isolator. Another idea might be that if your RV has 120 Volts AC power, just get a fully automatic battery charger and use that to keep battery #2 charged. Plug it into an extension cord when you are home. In case your main engine starting battery is down, you could use jumper cables to get started up. You have several choices. I prefer the electronic battery isolator. Most have Voltage regulators in them to keep battery 2 charged up. The idea is to also prevent back flow or loading battery #1 and running it down.

Comment

Thanks. So the normal 3 lug isolator from Checker or Auto Zone will do the trick?

Is my thinking correct on the alternator seeing the combined average voltage and charging accordingly? As in undercharging one and overcharging the other?

Comment

I think you are correct. The isolator charges the primary battery first to ensure the vehicle always has enough starting power, once the primary is charged then the secondary is charged

Comment

Well, I called Sure Power today, the maker of the isolator that Checker sells, and got the correct number. Went and bought it and a circuit breaker. Guess that's my job for tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
            X