Wiring help, amp wire size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help, amp wire size

installing 100 amp box in garage, fed off 200 amp box in shop (about 75' run). Want to run 50 or 60 amp breaker off garage box to 16 x 24 shed to sub box (room for up to 6 breakers, 120v) to power a few lights and a few recepticles. Shed is cold storage with 2nd story.
    There is no reason for 240v in the shed, garage will have 240v for mig welder.
    Just need to power some lights and maybe a battery charger for the rider in the spring, start the snow blower (120v electric start).
    Maybe a pocker game once a month on 2nd floor. Might have a small electric heater (1500 watt) or small fridge (pop n ice).
    I have flat gray wire, says 600v 10/3 w/ ground. Will this support a run of about 85' with max draw of 40 to 50 amps at one time on 120v? It also says it's UV resistant. No matter, going above ceiling in garage, exiting through wall in gray pvc underground an up through concrete pad inside shed.
    Or do I need to get something larger?
    Thanks in advance for any help. Searched for a site with calculator or table to guide me, didn't find what I was looking for. If anyone knows of a site that has such a thing I can reference, please pass it along by email along with posting here.
    Since I don't get on forum much anymore, no time, 12 hour days at work w/ 3 hour commute time. Email is best for me.
    If you could, please email me along with post (to maybe help others out) to jadams@glsroof.com
    Best of wishes to everyone!
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Re: Wiring help, amp wire size

The 10-3 is most likely type UF for outdoors. It can handle up to 30 Amps max. You need to go up to 8-3 with ground for 40 Amps and 6-3 for 50 for that run. Because you're first going to your main garage and then to the shed, you have lots of work to do. I really recommend contacting a good electrician with a helper or two. You'll find this is NO easy task. As for the smaller shed you'll have to run a 120/240 Volt feed into a sub-panel in it and then have several 120 Volt circuits. I don't want to seem mean but this really is not a DIYer kind of job. Please do yourself a big favor and contact several electricians and get them to make estimates and recommendations.

Comment

Thank you for the help.
      But I'll do it myself. The only reason I'll hire someone to do something, is that is cost's too much to buy the equipment to do it.
      Wiring isn't that bad, I don't think. Just takes a little common sense and a little understanding of what your doing. My flaw is the lack of knowing, or knowing where to look, to find out what size wire to use for amps and length of run. You have provided the missing piece and the rest will soon be history.
      Sub panel will be used. Since I know it will handle 30 amps, I'll run a 30 on the black, 30 on the red, white common (as always) and the ground. Feed the lights off one side, and the recepticles on the other breaking it up in the sub panel with 4 - 15 amp breakers.
      That will give me more than I will ever need for a storage building.
      Have a great day!
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Hi Woody!

Been a long time since you were in here. Can't be of much help in your current quest but it's nice to see you're still around and kicking.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by UO_Woody View Post
          Thank you for the help.
          But I'll do it myself.

Have a great day!
          Since you have decided to go it alone despite some good advice to the contrary at least be sure to seperate your grounds and neutrals in the subs in your garage and shed.

ElectricianJeff

Comment

If you are adding a "breaker panel" to divide the circuits, and this is a separate building, you must have a separate ground rod at that building. You can run UF cable of any size provided the breaker mastches what wire you use. At the breaker panel you only need 2 hots and a nuetral from the house, you will then treat it as a "main panel" with a separate ground rod. If it is a separate building, you DO NOT treat is as a sub panel unless the buildings are in some way attached. If you use UF cable as the feeder, just do not use the ground wire and establish a separate ground system at the panel in the out building using a separate ground rod there. This is the proper way to do it. Lou

Comment

Working...
            X