X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 phase lathe question

A friend of mine just bought a new monster powermatic wood lathe (lucky dog!!). I was reading up on it last night and it says it comes with a 3 phase, 2hp motor with a built in phase converter for 220. (probably why it costs almost 3 grand!)
    Does anyone have any idea why they built it like this? It makes no sense to me, but then again, i'm not an electrician either! LOL 2hp 220 motors are a dime a dozen!

Here is a quote from the following article.
    "If you don’t understand the 1-phase/3-phase stuff, suffice it to say that the included inverter makes hooking the Powermatic 3520B Lathe up in your shop simple. It’s also thousands cheaper (literally) than paying the local power company to string a 3-phase line through the neighborhood to your house, if they will do it at all.

Seems to me it would be atleast a grand cheaper if it came with a regular 'ol 220 motor and not the 3 phase one! They must have had a real stock pile of the 'spensive ones and needed a place to dump them! (or I could be way wrong!)

Here are the specs on the lathe.

Mark
    Last edited by The Wood Meister; 07-09-2007, 04:42 PM.
    Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Re: 3 phase lathe question

Makes no sense to include a phase converter for a 2 hp motor, like you say dime a dozen, even a Baldor would only run about $0.25 (on the given scale)
    You can easily go up to about 5 HP without the need for 3 PH

Comment

The 3-phase motor is a better motor than the single phase, particularly more starting torque and only a couple parts. I imagine the speed is precisely controlled with a VFD(variable frequency drive). Speed control is difficult with a single phase motor.

Comment

Yea, I forgot to mention the variable speed control. I got to thinking about that a few minutes ago. Just seems like an expensive way to do it. I"d like a new lathe too but not at 3 grand! LOL
        Thanks.

Mark
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Funny thing is I have full three phase power to my apartment. Unfortunately I can't use any machinery here as it's an apartment.

Comment

I was looking at the lathe machine and the reason why they used the 3 phase motor for few good reason one this motor is a ' C-faced " motor and most small motor manufacter do have single phase C-face motor but not that high a hp of the frame size [ depending on what voltage and speed ] and the other reason why they put in 3 phase motor in first place because there are some area do have true 3 phase system in their shop so they can elamted the phase conveter but more likely that grey box is the VFD [ varibale speed drive ] which it is more common now than the phase conveter becasue some of the VFD [ if sized proplely ] they can have single phase incomming and 3 phase output to the motor.

i do have older lathe machine that run on 3 phase power which my shop allready have 3 phase power in there so i dont have any issuse but for the average person it will be some but with today tech the VFD is getting more common now and also with 3 phase motor design it is far more rugged not like single phase motor have one or two common failure is starting switch and capaitor failure [ two are most common with single phase motor ] and other big plus with 3 ph motor is that it can be reversed very easy by swapping any two leads to the motor compared to single phase motor you may have get a specal switch or drum switch to get to reverse the motor rotation

sorry for little long winded words here but if you want to know how the VFD work ask me i will post it here

merci , Marc

Comment

Working...
            X