bathroom exhaust fan question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bathroom exhaust fan question

Well, I finally got around to installing an exhaust fan in the ceiling for our kitchen. Really need to get the heat out when using the gas range or oven.

I also needed to run a new circuit for the microwave so figured this was a good time to put in the fan too.
    I got this fan about 5 years ago, brand new in the box. It's a braun? Anyway, I got everything done and put the fan up in the housing and plugged it in and man was it noisey!! I pulled it back out and held it up in it's installed position and noticed the armature was sitting on the end housing. I took it into the shop and pulled it apart and found NOTHING in that end. No spacer bushing, just metal to metal. I looked at the other end and saw some kind of felt bushing and thin brass washer on that end. What I ended up doing was sliding 3 tiny "0" rings on the shaft then added 2 super thin flat washers and built my own spacer. When I got it back together, I had about 30 thousands space between the armature and bottom housing. Installed it and its super quiet now.
    Did someone miss something when it was built or is the end housing supposed to have some kind of thingy over the end of the shaft to space it up? Now, the shaft just sticks out the bottom.

Here are some pics to help.

Mark

Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Re: bathroom exhaust fan question

Sounds like a good repair job. Seems like a step was missed on the assembly line

Comment

If those O-Rings are subject to any rotational friction or heat they will disintegrate in no time.

Good catch on the missing part(s), but I think you might need something a little more durable in there.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Did you try to contact the company? Maybe they will send the correct parts for free.

Joey

BTW, your avatar makes me laugh EVERY time I see it
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
          Did you try to contact the company? Maybe they will send the correct parts for free.

Joey

BTW, your avatar makes me laugh EVERY time I see it
          Good point...can't hurt to ask....unless you're posing as a plumber and the Dog gets a hold of ya
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

That's a shaded pole motor and are generally not serviceable. Try some appliance stores for an exact replacement.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I may call them and ask. I kinda hate to try though as I got the fan at an auction about 5 years ago! It's been sitting in my shop since then. With the little action it will see, i'm hoping it will last a while. I also found a nice piece of plastic that I can make a spacer out of if need be. I just hate to toss repairable stuff! LOL

Mark
              Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Working...
              X