Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Easy question 220 volt 240 volt

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
    For what this is worth you want to design a circuit where the load is on for long times so that the load isn't greater than 80% of the circuit rating. Examples would be 12 Amps on a 15 Amp circuit, 16 on a 20 and 24 on a 30. Figuring that the heater is designed for 240 Volts, that would give max Wattages of 2880, 3480, and 5760.

In your garage do you currently have a sub-panel? If yes, what is the rating of the breaker feeding it? It might pay to setup for 2 heaters and only use one during mild weather with the other as a booster. Maybe just buy one heater, but plan on another if needed. - Just my 1 cent worth here

No matter what you end up with for a heater be sure to keep it away from anything that can catch on fire and also keep the heater clean. Use your shop vac to suck dust and dirt out of it and then blow it in reverse to remove sawdust and such.
    The breaker will be installed Saturday morning 30amp and the wire 10 gauge ( it was going to be 12 gauge). For the future I want to be able to hook up a 3hp Table Saw to it so it was reccomended to use 10. I noticed 10 gauge had 4 wires verse 12-3. Not sure if I need something different for the breaker it being 10-4.
    My Sub is 200amps.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Woodywoodchuck View Post
      The breaker will be installed Saturday morning 30amp and the wire 10 gauge ( it was going to be 12 gauge). For the future I want to be able to hook up a 3hp Table Saw to it so it was reccomended to use 10. I noticed 10 gauge had 4 wires verse 12-3. Not sure if I need something different for the breaker it being 10-4.
      My Sub is 200amps.

Thanks
      Housing type wire 12/3 is actually 3 conductors and a ground.
      Most other types of wire 12/3 or 10/3 are 3 conductors and no extra ground or
      10/4 is 4 conductors and no extra ground.

Comment

Originally posted by bluecon View Post
        Housing type wire 12/3 is actually 3 conductors and a ground.
        Most other types of wire 12/3 or 10/3 are 3 conductors and no extra ground or
        10/4 is 4 conductors and no extra ground.
        So will 10/4 hook up to a 30 amp breaker?
        The 12 I have is 12/3.

Comment

Woody

Are you saying you have a 200 Amp feed to a sub-panel in your garage/workshop? If yes, then you can install a far more serious heater and get some real heat or maybe have 2 heaters where one would be a booster which would run only as needed.

As for the wiring normally Romex has a ground wire which isn't included in the labeling. 10-2 W/gnd has 2 current carrying conductors and a ground. Some doesn't have a ground conductor. Be sure it says "With Ground" if you go to buy any. You'll also want some red color coding tape as the white wire (assuming 10-2 W/gnd is used) needs to be coded as red. If you have say 10-3 or 10-4 (rare but it is made) in your own stock, go and use what you have. Actually sometimes it comes in handy to have the white neutral even if not currently used. In this case the black is Line 1, the red is Line 2, the white is neutral or not connected and green or bare is ground.

The bottom line is that you will want to have an electrician work on this. You may be able to help, but the person doing the connecting up and breaker installation has to know and understand how and what to do or this won't be safe to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodywoodchuck View Post
            So will 10/4 hook up to a 30 amp breaker?
            The 12 I have is 12/3.
            The 10/4 is good for a 30 amp double pole breaker.
            2 wires for the 2 hot wires, one wire for a ground and one wire for neutral if you need 120v for the saw or something else. If you don't need 120v you only need 2 hot wires and a ground either 10/3 if there is no bare ground wire like in house wire or 10/3. Aren't you using a #10 romex type house wire with the bare ground?
            Last edited by bluecon; 10-10-2007, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X