Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Motor Question

Electric Motor Question
    I have a motor, actually 8 of them that came from Italy. The writing isn't exactly what I know/understand but there are some specifics I can give that are clear.

The motor is wired for 220 1 phase. The cord prongs dictate 220 setup. This motor has a capacitor on the top concealed inside. Here's a link to the product I'm dealing with:

http://www.simmm.com/flash/documents/B1121D.swf

The questions I have,

Can I convert to 110volt, IF I can't, can I use a converter or do they make one that will work off 110 and send juice to this motor without damaging it?

My electrical source to these is mainly going to be fed from power outlets at large functions......and if I bought a welder-generator if that would support 220 feeds.

I can take the top off of this and show the wiring into the motor but there are no tabs for me to switch to 110 lugs. << This makes me sad as this is an unexpected discovery on this recent purchase.

Anyone with this expertise, I'd appreciate it.
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Re: Electric Motor Question

The motor is obviously made in Italy where the voltage is usually 220 as a standard. The specs on the motor given in the link at the bottom clearly state the motor is 220V. If the motor WAS capable of being used on 120v the spec would say so, such as 120/220 1ph. But it only states 220v, so I doubt the motor will run on 120v and can not be made to either. You will need 220 to run it from either a 220v outlet, or a generator that will supply 220v. You can probably use a 120 to 220 v step up transformer, but it will need to be of the correct KVA rating to run the motor. Lou

Comment

Here is what you will need and the power rating of 3000 watts is about what you will need.VOLTAGECONVERTERS.COM - Item Description Page - VC3000W

Comment

on most motors that are multi voltage if you take off the cover where the power goes in to the motor there may be a wiring diagram (most multi voltage motors come that way that I have delt with.),

but like said since the paper work does not show multi voltages my guess is it is not multi voltage,

most generators of any power, have a 220 outlet, and regular power cords will carry 220 if both of the ends are changed so they can not accidently be plugged into 110 voltage, does make a mess if plugging into regular outlets tho, the step up transformer would be the way to go in that instance.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

One problem you'll quickly run into with a step up transformer is that the required current will be about 2-1/4 times what the motor load will be and that's the running current. You really want to find out if at the location where they will be used can't supply you with single phase 220-240 Volt power. A good heavy generator would be a good last resort. I have yet to see a welder-generator that puts out 240 Volts AC but such could sure be made and would be very nice to have. Now I'm going to be checking as my interest in such is up.

Update: Woussko's brain jumped out of gear again. Hobart, Lincoln and Miller all make several models with 120/240 V power and there are even some models that put out 3 phase power.
          Last edited by Woussko; 10-25-2007, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
            One problem you'll quickly run into with a step up transformer is that the required current will be about 2-1/4 times what the motor load will be and that's the running current. You really want to find out if at the location where they will be used can't supply you with single phase 220-240 Volt power. A good heavy generator would be a good last resort. I have yet to see a welder-generator that puts out 240 Volts AC but such could sure be made and would be very nice to have. Now I'm going to be checking as my interest in such is up.

i have a lincoln weld n power 4500 watt unit. it will even start my 4 horse 220 power compressor.

almost used it this last weekend as the wind knocked out the power from saturday p.m to sunday 7 am. another hour i would have woken up the neighbors

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
            X