Cant get my baseboard heaters working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant get my baseboard heaters working

Hi, first of all, Im new to this site and Ill tell ya, GREAT SITE!

I have 5 500watt base board heaters wired up with individual thermostats, im running 12/2 wire ,two pole (220V) breaker attaches , double pole
    thermostats.
    I cant get even the first one working. I have wired the thermostats red wire to red wire, black to black. Should work. I think its the breaker. Can I use a 12/2 wire on a two pole breaker? Or am I supose to be using a 4 wire. Any ideas. Im all ears...Thanks

Re: Cant get my baseboard heaters working

http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/manua...oardmanual.pdf

here this might be of some help, also you say red to red and black to black, but never made any mention of a ground, also have you tried to by pass the thermostat? as in wired for it to be either on or off? good luck stay warm and welcome to the group
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Are you sure you got a 2 pole breaker and not a 120v tandem breaker?

Comment

If you mean that both switches shut off , then yes Im sure.

Comment

No, they both have 2 switches. I mean a 2 pole will tap into L1 & L2.
          Does the breaker you got say double pole on it? Does it occupy 2 slots in the box?

Comment

You can test what Newman is saying with a voltmeter. If you have a tandem breaker you will see 120 V between either black or red and common/ground but you will have 0 V between red and black. With a proper double pole breaker that spans L1/L2 in the box you will still have 120 V between either black or red and common/ground but you will have 240 V between red and black and the heaters will work

Comment

I don't think I quite understand how you wired the thermostat and the power coming in. You said you used 12-2 wire for the feed, well then you have a BLACK and a WHITE wire ONLY from the breaker that is your 220V. If you have a 2 pole thermostat then you first have to find out which leads are the line and which are the load. Some thermostat companies call the red the line and some call the balck the line. You have to look at the instructions on the T stat. Most of the time the RED is the line and the BLACK is the load. Now assume the RED wires on the T stat are LINE, then connect the BLACK from the feed 12-2 to one RED and the WHITE from the feed to the other RED, then the 2 BLACK wires on the T stat go to the heater. You should also use a 12-2 to the heater and connect the 2 BLACKS from the T stat to the 12-2 going to the heater. That is the way to wire it. Your saying you connected red to red.....that will not work. Lou

Comment

Good point, missed that. If he had the correct breaker spanning L1/L2 it would pop every time he turned on the thermostat if wired as he stated.
                Up here we use red sheathed wire for electric heaters, blue for arc fault (bedrooms) and yellow for 20A (not for heaters), pretty colours like our money

The red sheathed 12/2 has red/black conductors and a ground.

Comment

The breaker has the double switch. not individual switches. Both shut off and on togeather.
                  The Tstat has 4 wires Im running 12 / 2 wire. UpHere it is a red and black wire and a ground.
                  The back of the Tstat where the 4 wires come out it say next to each wire LI L2 T1 T2.
                  Im going to try QROKING advise see if I cant get this puppy going.

Am I correct on the Pannel as far as the breaker goes. All I need is the 12 /2 wire. 2 hot in the breaker and the ground?Not a 3 wire.

Comment

Am I correct on the Panel as far as the breaker goes. All I need is the 12 /2 wire. 2 hot in the breaker and the ground?Not a 3 wire.

-- correct

The L1/L2 are line (hot) from the breaker and T1/T2 go to the heater

Comment

Oh, I did not relaize you guys are in Canada. So you mean to tell me that 12-2 romex wire in Canada has red and black wire NOT Balck and white and a ground? Here in US the Romex 12-2 (or BX) has one black and one white and a bare ground. So if your 12-2 is black and red then connect one black to the red on T stat and one red to red on T stat Those are your L1 and L2 then the 2 blacks on the T stat go to the heater T1 T2. Then it should work.
                      The only time I see a red wire is in 12-3 or 14-3 here in USA. I did not know 12-2 in Canada was red-black instead of balck white. SORRY....Lou

Comment

It is a bit strange here. We have two 12-2 cables. There is the red sheath that has red/black and ground and there is yellow sheath that has the typical black/white with ground that is used for standard 20A circuits other than heaters

Comment

Wayne
                          Do you have any 12-2 Romex up there with a white or off white sheath? That's what most is here in the USA and it normally comes with black, white and bare conductors. I like the idea of your having red jacket with black, red and bare. We normally use red tape on the ends of the white to mark it as L2 and not neutral but people down here forget and end up with from time to time.

Griffen, Do you have a AC Voltmeter, multimeter (VOM) or a continuity tester?
                          Last edited by Woussko; 10-24-2007, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Just chiming in to say that yes, we certainly do. That's what I've used for my indoor wiring. I bought some heavier-duty outdoor stuff that's got a black sheath over it, but still black, white, and bare ground inside it. I used that to put lights up on the fence in my back yard.

Comment

On some old panels you can put a double pole breaker in the wrong spot and connect to the same phase on both poles. The old federal Pioneer panels in Canada were like this. Just a possibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X