Greenlee GT-11 tester

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenlee GT-11 tester

Well I have no explanation as to why it has taken me so long to buy one of these gadgets!
    Usually I would pull out the good old multimeter and measure to determine if a wire or circuit is live [hot].

I was watching Holmes on Holmes [Mike Holmes] and he was showing some outrageous wiring and the fact it was exposed and hot.

I said " I gotta get one of those things"!
    Now I did see the other brands but I like the GT-11 as it uses 2 AAA batteries instead of those dreaded button batteries.

Ok, here are my questions:

1. how does this thing work? sensing AC voltage without touching it? I suspect it has
    something to do with near field inductive pick up.

2. I turned the thing on and rubbed my finger across the yellow plastic tip and the tester
    beeped. I was not sure what happened and did it several times. I am suspecting some
    sort of static field from rubbing the yellow plastic? Or I just have an electrifying
    personality!

This is a clever tool and should really be in everyone's tool bag.

Cactus Man

Re: Greenlee GT-11 tester

They are a clever tool and have their uses. They sense frequency you can test them usually by running it across your chest.

They can be unreliable. I have one in my bag and use it to test if a wire is live. Because it does not show as live to a tick tester does not mean it is dead however.

If I need to work on wiring I never depend on the tick tester to test for voltage. I always use a regular pair of wiggy's.

Comment

The work by sensing the electric field around the circuit.
      I have the Greenlee and 2 others. They are very handy for quick checks, but I usually check the circuit with a tester.

Comment

I prefer a wiggy or a DVM and do a Live-Dead-Live check to make sure the tester or meter is working before I trust my life to it.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I uses a Fluke pen to do the circuit test...no batteries....beats finding out with my furry little paw I know mines taken a beating and still works...I uses it to do a quick trouble shoot on the line voltage side...voltage here, here and here.....

Tuesday I picked up a Uei pen voltage detector...detects down to 12 volts...but Im still playing with the sensativity adjustment...too low and it beeps at anything...

Comment

Remodelled my sons bathroom a while back and found out the hard way that the vanity light was switched on the neutral side. Saw that Holmes on Homes show a couple months ago and he was using one of those. Went out and bought one for myself. It does work like a charm.
            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Noncontact testers "tic testers" do not replace voltmeters and voltmeter do not replace "tick testers" they are different tools with unique capabilities.

Comment

I have one and love it! Very useful!

Comment

Working...
                X