X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I buy this or make this?

Hi, I have a tablesaw and a heater running of 220 with same style plug.I want to be able to have both plugged in but only one on. I have only one outlet. Can I buy this or do I have to make it. If I have to make what size wire do I need. The saw may draw 15 amps tops and heater 20.Its a 30amp breaker.
    Thanks

Name:  16a249a29cb1b62da19ab8b873f2707c.pdf
Views: 1
Size:  3.5 KB

Re: Can I buy this or make this?

Well, first of all you should not have a 15 amp or 20 amp rated receptacle connected to a circuit that has a 30 amp breaker. They do make a duplex 15 amp 220 receptacle which you can plug in 2 itmes. You should have a small 2 circuit breaker box connected to the 30 amp line with 2 separate breakers, one for 15A and one for 20A for the saw and heater. Lou

Comment

You can buy a duplex 20A 250V NEMA 6-20R receptacle. You will need to change to a 20 Amp 2 pole circuit breaker. L1=black L2=red N=white and ground is bare or green. This way you can plug in 2 devices that have 6-20P plugs on them and run one at a time.

The receptacle you want is a 5462 and will be industrial grade. Look at Hubbell or Leviton as both show them in their catalogs. Leviton won't be quite as costly as Hubbell. The matching industrial grade plug is 5466-C. Please do not buy or use junk for this. Quality pays off over time.
      Last edited by Woussko; 11-11-2007, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
        You can buy a duplex 20A 250V NEMA 6-20R receptacle. You will need to change to a 20 Amp 2 pole circuit breaker. L1=black L2=red N=white and ground is bare or green. This way you can plug in 2 devices that have 6-20P plugs on them and run one at a time.

The receptacle you want is a 5462 and will be industrial grade. Look at Hubbell or Leviton as both show them in their catalogs. Leviton won't be quite as costly as Hubbell. The matching industrial grade plug is 5466-C. Please do not buy or use junk for this. Quality pays off over time.
        Thanks I looked at Leviton. I had to put it in cart and then see where it's sold . It sent me to Home Depot? Sound right? So is it a plug with two outlets coming out fo it. No cord at all right.

Thank you

Comment

Yes you should be able to find the outlet at Home Depot. I would suggest you that you look for the amperage rating of the heater, this may require removing the cover. If it is 15 or 20 amps you should replace the 30 amp breaker with correct size. A number of factors come into play such as the size of wire used between the breaker and the outlet and not protecting the saw and possibly the heater correctely. Too large a breaker is like putting a penny under one of the old screw in fuses.

Comment

The 5462 is a duplex receptacle (outlet) that mounts in a single gang electrical box. It looks much like a regular receptacle other than how the slots are. The plug is the type that will plug into this receptacle. I have a gut feeling you really need to consult in person with an electrician about this. Mess things up and it's not going to be good at your house.

Comment

Working...
            X