Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many conductors in conduit by code?

First off thanks for the help I have a NEC 2002 code book and I need to know if I am reading this right, (in any conduit you can only fill to 40% capacity to allow 60% for cooling?). I've worked as a electrician for the past 3yrs but depending on the boss and job site you get told differently. So am I reading it correctly? Thanks

Re: How many conductors in conduit by code?

since i live in swfl and i have seen some of the work if i had to guess i would say you are only beeing told this in the places the the inspector would not go, like in a 40 foot ceiling, in a crawl space, one the very edge of some very high roof.

but yes you are reading the book right, the comany you work for is the ones who are wrong.

but with the lack of work down here at the moment, i would hate to tell you to turn then in, because one you would be fired for being a wisle blower, and the fine that they would recive if they get one at all would make little to no diffentce to them.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by swflmale View Post
      First off thanks for the help I have a NEC 2002 code book and I need to know if I am reading this right, (in any conduit you can only fill to 40% capacity to allow 60% for cooling?). I've worked as a electrician for the past 3yrs but depending on the boss and job site you get told differently. So am I reading it correctly? Thanks
      You have it correct. If it's just a very short piece which would normally be a pipe nipple then you can have a tighter fill. Wires carrying current do give off heat and it has to go somewhere. There may be some argument about the grounding conductor as to if it has to be counted. A good electrician will be thinking about what if later on an additional wire needs to be pulled or what if there's trouble and all the wire needs to be removed and replaced. If packed tightly it can be a real problem to deal with. It's better to oversize conduit.

By the way welcome to the forum.

The bottom line is most likely your boss is thinking only about how much the materials cost and what is his/her profit. People worry too much about the $ and not about future problems if a job isn't done correctly. Wait until a tape or pulling cable/rope breaks. Maybe then things will change as the PITA factor wakes people up fast.

Quick question: Are they/you using a good wire pulling lube? If not that's something to bring up.
      Last edited by Woussko; 12-01-2007, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Cooling is not the only issue. 40% fill capacity sounds like a lot of wasted space inside the conduit but realistically that's already really tight. Going higher makes pulling them quite harder and it could be easy to exceed the maximum pull strength before the cable is damaged. Cables don't run along along the conduit in perfect straight lines one next to the other. They take up a lot more room as the overlap each other along the way.

Comment

Thanks guys, thought I was but best to ask it is true jobs down here are far and few..... anyone thinking of moving down here (Don't Do It) inless your rich.

Comment

Working...
          X