Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 120 V baseboard heater..

Ok .......
    I want to add electric baseboard in bathroom. so i went to lowes , bought one of shelf. Of course didn`t check nothing. Brought home conected ( new wires...2). Works !! Great.
    Later realize doesn`t heat well.Never was able to heat the space. Checked voltage 120 V, checked baseboard 240 V. Great
    Went to lowes to buy 120V baseboard...only one ...5 times more expensive than first one i bought.
    Seems like all may other baseboards are 240 V.
    Question is where i can get 120V baseboard for reasonable price ..or what is other option.
    Thank you

p.s. My first post...
    This forum is GREAT, thank you

Re: Looking for 120 V baseboard heater..

Hi and welcome to the forum

Q-Mark makes what you want so I hope you returned the one from Lowes either for a refund or store credit. Can you post some specs other than it needs to be 120 Volts? What length are you needing? This is end to end. Do you want it to have a built-in thermostat or will you be using a line Voltage wall mounted thermostat that an electrician has wired up for you? The more info the better.

You will need to most likely have this special ordered from a good electrical distributor, but it should be stocked at a Q-Mark warehouse and ship to them quickly. You might get lucky and find what you need in stock. With more info I can give you catalog numbers for what you want/need. I recommend the Q-Mark baseboard heaters as they aren't junk and make many, many models to select from.

http://www.qmarkmeh.com/develop/prod.../ZBL-QMKCA.pdf (Good grade baseboard heaters)

Please note that with any new electric heater it's a good idea to have windows open when you first power it up. They have to burn off the protective oil coating on the element and it does stink. Just set the thermostat up high and let it run about 1/2 hour. That should do it. There may be a hot smell for a day or two afterward. This is normal but if it keeps making a real smell there are problems. I've had some off brand baseboards overheat even when Voltage was checked. Good name brand ones are better engineered and manufactured. They do get hot so keep anything that migh catch fire a good safe distance. See instructions for warnings about such.

Note: A heater designed to run on 240 Volts will just get a little warm run on 120 Volts. For 120 Volts a single pole thermostat will work fine. You break the hot (black) side and not the neutral (white).
    Last edited by Woussko; 12-02-2007, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your post.
      I did check listing you post and i think baseboard QMKC2513W should be the one i need. it is 750 watts , 3 feet long. Hopefully i can use thermostat i have ( single pole , built in option).
      Where i can find one of those..and what price would be for it . I paid 240 V , 500 w about 30 $ plus thermostat ( lowes store).
      Thank you once more

Comment

If you only need 500W of heat you can get a 1000W 240V and it will produce 500W at 120V

Comment

Sorry Wayne but you forgot the square law regarding power. In a resistive load such as would be the heater you have to square the Voltage and divide by resistance. In such a case a heater designed as 1000 Watts at 240 Volts would only produce about 250 Watts of heat running on 120 Volts.

120 x 120 = 14400 & 240 x 240 = 57600 thus you have a 1 to 4 ratio

As for where to buy Q-Mark electric heating products, check with any major electrical distributor in your area. Yellow Pages - electrical supplies wholesale - Normally in the USA they will sell this kind of stuff to walk in cash paying customers. I doubt your current thermostat would work but that depends on the brand of heater you now have. Here is one idea you might want to think about. If the bathroom has a long wall without anything in the way, how about a 6 or 8 foot long 240 Volt baseboard heater? The 6 footer would give you around 375 Watts and the 8 around 500 Watts depending on brand and design. What I have in mind is that it would just get warm but not hot. This would be nice gentle heat and you won't need to worry near as much about setting toilet paper on fire or someone getting burned. I know it's a bit crazy but it could work. Most likely if your bathroom is of normal size with outside walls you'll really want 1000 real Watts of heat if not more. This is especially true on a cold morning. Have you considered a small 120 Volt fan forced wall mount heater? Such are made and with the fan will heat up the bathroom fast. Also they don't take up near as much floor/wall space. Just an idea
          Last edited by Woussko; 12-03-2007, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Came back to fix that error after coffee in hopes that I could sneak in the change before everyone woke up.
            For some reason P=I * V is the only think that came to mind this AM

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              Sorry Wayne but you forgot the square law regarding power. In a resistive load such as would be the heater you have to square the Voltage and divide by resistance. In such a case a heater designed as 1000 Watts at 240 Volts would only produce about 250 Watts of heat running on 120 Volts.

120 x 120 = 14400 & 240 x 240 = 57600 thus you have a 1 to 4 ratio

As for where to buy Q-Mark electric heating products, check with any major electrical distributor in your area. Yellow Pages - electrical supplies wholesale - Normally in the USA they will sell this kind of stuff to walk in cash paying customers. I doubt your current thermostat would work but that depends on the brand of heater you now have. Here is one idea you might want to think about. If the bathroom has a long wall without anything in the way, how about a 6 or 8 foot long 240 Volt baseboard heater? The 6 footer would give you around 375 Watts and the 8 around 500 Watts depending on brand and design. What I have in mind is that it would just get warm but not hot. This would be nice gentle heat and you won't need to worry near as much about setting toilet paper on fire or someone getting burned. I know it's a bit crazy but it could work. Most likely if your bathroom is of normal size with outside walls you'll really want 1000 real Watts of heat if not more. This is especially true on a cold morning. Have you considered a small 120 Volt fan forced wall mount heater? Such are made and with the fan will heat up the bathroom fast. Also they don't take up near as much floor/wall space. Just an idea
              Heh i do have 8 feet long 240 V baseboard in spare. So if i use this one ...am i gonna spent extra money for heat....is consumption gonna be equal with using 500W 120V heater. Another words is this idea money loosing?

Comment

You won't loose out other than I really doubt it's enough heat. I have found most bathrooms big enough to have a shower or tub and that have an outside wall and window need 1000 Watts of heat if not more. How much you need depends on many things. You could try the 8 foot heater rigged up with a power cord and just put a few screws into the baseboard to keep it in place. It will get warm but it sure won't get hot and throw out heat like if run on the design voltage. Personally I would look into a small fan forced wall mount and if needed a surface mounting kit for it. That way you won't need to make a big hole in the wall during installation. One nice thing about electric heat is that as long as you have a good thermostat you can oversize and not loose out. It just won't be on as long at a given time. You do need to watch for circuit overloading. Be sure to have heaters on their own circuit. You can run 2 small baseboard heaters on the same circuit but do not hard wire one on a circuit with receptacles or lights.

15 Amp 120 Volt circuit is limited to 1500 Watts.
                20 Amp 120 Volt circuit has a 2000 Watt limit.

Question: Does the bathroom have any other heat in or near it, or will this be the only heat for the bathroom? In my house I have forced hot air heat with a small register in the bathroom but wanted a little boost at times. In my case a 3 foot 750 Watt heater worked well. With the damper in the heat register closed on a cold winter night I needed about 1200 Watts just for the bathroom. It does have a window and 2 walls while insulated are outside walls. It's not a huge bathroom either.

Bottom line: If you can maybe sell off what you currently have. Then go to a good electrical distributor and get a new heater and thermostat to match it. Also you might really want to call a good electrical contractor to help with this. They know where to get things and can make recommendations on what would work best for you.
                Last edited by Woussko; 12-05-2007, 08:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...561-6&catname=

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...561-5&catname=
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If you want it fast and can deal with Grainger they should have this in stock or can get it to the local branch fast. My dad does some electrical work and helped me figure this out.

48" 1000 Watt 120 Volt http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3UG78
                    36" 750 Watt 120 Volt http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3UG77
                    Thermostat that mounts in end http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3UG90

Comment

Thank you guys
                      you helped me understood how this works.
                      I found baseboard at local store. Everything is on right place , now
                      Thank you once more .
                      This forum is great place

Comment

Working...
                      X