Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring garage - switch from THHN to NM?

I need to run wires from a sub-panel in the garage that is attached to a stucco wall (garage used to be a carport). The wires need to go up into the attic and then distributed around to provide lights in the ceiling and outlets around the opposite stud wall. I assume the best thing to do is run the wires in EMT up the stucco wall and then inside the attic I don't want to be running EMT because of cost and flexibility. I'd really want to run NM in the attic and in the far stud wall. But I can't run NM in the EMT so what do I do, use THHN in the conduit and then make a junction box and switch to NM once I'm in the attic? What is the correct approach to doing this? Thanks, Andrew

Re: wiring garage - switch from THHN to NM?

If the sub panel is IN the garage just run NMT and use NM-B wire. If the panel is not outside you don't need thhn. NMT is easier and cheaper to work with anyway.

Comment

Re: wiring garage - switch from THHN to NM?

Running NM in EMT or NMT (PVC As known to most people) still requires that you follow "fill requirements" which when running NM in those conduits fills up a lot faster then running individual THHN conductors. I mentioned somewhere in a previous post about how much room a NM conductor takes up inside of a piece of pipe. However, if this panel is right on the outside of the house, and you're just using a connector out of the panel, a piece of pipe and an LB to get right into the house, this could be just considered "sleeving" which it is acceptable to pull the NM in, just to give it some protection from being exposed. IF you're going to be putting bends in this pipe, i would strongly advise against pulling the NM in conduit, as it will get really tough, really fast.

Comment

Working...
      X