X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titan Milk House Heater

I'm trying to buy a good quality 120 Volt portable electric heater of the type that was known as a "Milk House" heater. Mine is from some time back and says "Titan" on it. These are fan forced and have two heat settings and a thermostat. They have a handle on top to carry it or to use twine and tie it to something overhead. I have seen some really junky ones at ACE Hardware and Walmart. I want a good one. Does anyone know where I might find such? Thanks in advance for your help. Lisa

Please see picture. What I have looks much like this one. I have found junk ones but I need and want quality.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lisa_PA; 12-06-2007, 10:34 AM.

Re: Titan Milk House Heater

http://www.google.com/products?sourc...=1&sa=N&tab=wf

The one we have is 20+ years old,
    I do not know of the quality of the current manufactured lines. Ours appears to be closer to the "The Holmes Group Utility Heater" than the "Patton" or other manufacture one's.

http://www.holmesproducts.com/pdfs/HFH680.pdf

I have not bought any recently Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD Thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa_PA View Post
        I'm trying to buy a good quality 120 Volt portable electric heater of the type that was known as a "Milk House" heater. Mine is from some time back and says "Titan" on it. These are fan forced and have two heat settings and a thermostat. They have a handle on top to carry it or to use twine and tie it to something overhead. I have seen some really junky ones at ACE Hardware and Walmart. I want a good one. Does anyone know where I might find such? Thanks in advance for your help. Lisa

Please see picture. What I have looks much like this one. I have found junk ones but I need and want quality.
        I have seen three different models of the "Milkhouse Heater" at Walmart. The very inexpensive 750-1500W model I use in my trailer for around $12-15.
        A more powerful 1300-1500W for around $25-30.
        A much more rugged 1300-1500W with 3 speeds at apprx $40.
        If your local Walmart does not have the high quality model I would go to the dept mgr and they can probably order it for you. I know we don't think of Walmart as offering that kind of service however I have had several items ordered that they don't carry in stock. They are surprisingly efficient at such tasks. Good luck...Ray

Comment

The QMark model MMHD1502T is what I recommend. It has a three conductor grounding power cord and a tip over safety switch. Try a good electrical supply house like Tri-State or such for them. If not in local stock they should be able to get them for you quickly.
          http://www.qmarkmeh.com/develop/prod.../ZBL-FMMHA.pdf

Titan was bought out be Rival and then sold again and again. They aren't anymore. I remember them well. The ugly gray box heater than ran and ran and ran for many years. I have one that was made by Rival and designed like the old Titan but mine is nicer looking. Sorry but even $500 won't get me to sell it. I'm keeping this one.

You might check at TSC as they may have something pretty good. Farmers still need and use Milkhouse heaters for just that. I bet you have a cold basement and want a nice booster. If one won't get it warm enough get a second and be sure it's on another circuit.
          Last edited by Woussko; 12-06-2007, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I got really lucky today and found new old stock of the real thing Titan heaters on eBay. This is a dealer of vintage stuff. I called them and they said they have several that are still in the boxes and brand new. Well you can be sure I checked the listings and put in a few bids. I bid low as if they don't work out, a friend said to look at the web site of Northern Tools. I'm sure in time I'll find something. Right now I have to deal with nasty weather and more on the way. Over the past few days it's been freezing rain, snow, more freezing rain, just rain, overnight freeze and now it's sleeting this afternoon. Lucky us here got ready for nasty weather and can stay put for several days. The heater is for a small area in the basement where it is always cold in the winter. The rest is OK as it gets heat from the main hot air furnace. This would just be to boost it some.

Comment

granger has them for $40 and 45 www.granger.com

Comment

Thanks everyone --- I never should have started this thread as after doing serious hunting I have found many places that sell them. They may not be the original Titan brand but there are some plenty good enough. I guess it's seeing the old one which is older than me still running away with very little repairs ever being done to it. I wonder if the newer heaters are made anywhere near as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisa_PA View Post

I have a brand new one i bought years ago for a back up but i am still using my orginal one it always works

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
                    granger has them for $40 and 45 www.granger.com

the supply house is spelled GRAINGER. The link mentioned above is something entirely different!

Comment

Please note this thread dates back some time and that Lisa has been inactive for about a year. I'm sure she found her heater by now or just gave up on finding one.

For what it's worth I'll comment that the old timer true TITAN Milkhouse Heaters <aka> Old Ugly were very good products. Then they got bought up and sold several times. Along that way quality was forgotten.

The big supply house is W. W. Grainger and their site isn't www.granger.com but rather it is www.grainger.com but they won't sell people known as consumers.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 12-06-2008, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X