Table Lamp connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Lamp connection

My daughter made a table lamp at school and the instructor has her solder the ends of the wire before connecting to the bulb receptacle. I am curious why she had her do it this way and not just wrap the wires under the terminal screws as is and clamp down?
    Thanks Bob

Re: Table Lamp connection

beliveit or not that is the right way to do that since lamp cord is stranded wire and it could fray and short out or shock you other wise. you will see most stranded wire is soldered in the ends, as this is not an issue with soild wire
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

It helps keep the wire from flaring out as the screw is tightened down, it is a good idea. You do not tin the enter wire that is exposed just twist the exposed wire and tin the tip, if you tin the entire exposed wire you have made it weak and subject to break if flexed. The wire is stranded to allow for the lamp cord to flex without breaking. Make sure there is a strain relief knot (underwriters knot) tied where the cord enters the switch holder.

Also make sure the ribbed side of the lamp cord goes to the neutral side of the plug (the wider prong) and is connected to the terminal on the lamp socket that is bonded to the threaded section for the bulb. If connected backwards you could have the hot connection energizing the threads on the bulb which presents a potential shock hazard when changing the bulb if the lamp is plugged in even if the lamp switch is off.

Edit : OSC, I have to learn to type faster or say less ;-)
      Last edited by wbrooks; 12-13-2007, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys, I figured it was to hold the stranded together. Interestingly I pulled out one of my Home Improvement books today and they did not even suggest tinning the ends of the wire. thanks for the tip on just soldering the tip.

Bob

Comment

Twist the strands tight and form a nice little loop. Then heat and apply solder. Once cooled then remove screw and attach each wire to the lamp socket. You'll note that lamp cord has one side smooth and the other ribbed. Look at the plug. You want the wire connected to the smaller of the 2 prongs of the plug connected to the center contact of the socket and the larger to the threaded part. If in doubt a flashlight type continuity tester really helps. Be sure not to reverse things. The center contact is the hot connection and the threaded sleeve is for the neutral connection. What WBrooks posted is very important too.
          Last edited by Woussko; 12-13-2007, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X