X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spa Wiring

Hey, I am wiring up a spa. Not to be rude, but I do plan on doing this myself; so please spare me the, "if you have to ask, hire a pro...." I would however really appreciate advise.

Here is my plan:
    -Install a 40 AMP double breaker in my main panel. (Just upgraded to 200amp, so there is plenty of spaces.)
    -Run NM cable ~10 on house interior
    -Pop through the wall, install a box with my 40amp GFCI.
    -Run SCH40 pvc conduit ~50ft to where the tub goes. The tub is going on top of a preexisting concrete slab. I have hollowed out underneath the slab to run my conduit under the slab.
    -Run the last 6' in liquidtight conduit. This includes passing up through the slab
    -Bury my PVC conduit 24-30" deep.
    -Pull 4 #6 THHN wires.
    -Hook it all up.

So, does anybody see any major flaws with the plan? Here are my specific questions:

1) I only see liquidtight in 1/2" and 3/4". Do I need to reduce to 3/4" for my last 6'?
    2) How many expansion joints do I need for the PVC?
    3) It is OK to used PVC conduit for exposed installation (e.g. for the run from the GFCI box down to the ground)?
    4) Is it OK to connect the 3/4 liquidtight to the PVC under the concrete slb, or will the inspector want to see it exposed?

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate any response.

Jeff (in Denver)

Re: Spa Wiring

You can buy a double pole GFCI that fits in the main panel.
    If you need a 40a breaker you need #8 wire(copper wire) if there is no voltage drop problem. Auminum wire is much less expensive, and you would need #6 and anti-oxidant.
    Liquidtight comes in many sizes. Emt is cheap and easy inside the house.
    The groundwire can be undersized and maybe so can the neutral.

Your local code will determine the answer to many of your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by -jeffro View Post
      Hey, I am wiring up a spa. Not to be rude, but I do plan on doing this myself; so please spare me the, "if you have to ask, hire a pro...." I would however really appreciate advise.
      That there is the exact reason alot of reputable electricians will not give advice to DIY'ers
      It was said a while ago that someone wondered why more electrians don't post in the forum. There's the exact reason why.

Comment

Originally posted by swoosh81 View Post
        It was said a while ago that someone wondered why more electrians don't post in the forum. There's the exact reason why.
        I TOTALLY agree.His membership says an engineer too.....
        have fun
        Sam

Comment

I have a spa, I wired it myself..BUT....

1. I understand the NEC
          2. I am familiar with the local code
          3. I did over kill in wire size..but it's my money!

Now most importantly....

I did everything except the final hook up to the breaker box! Which would have taken me maybe 10 minutes including punching the hole on the side for the conduit.

I contacted a licensed electrician! He came over, inspected my work..in fact complimented my in my neat and proper installation. He then popped the hole in the breaker box and hooked up the wires. I gave him $100.00 and that's not bad for 15 minutes work.

WHY??? simple..home owner's insurance protection!!!!! IF I did it all and I had a non related electrical fire, catastrophic accident in the home, or something other requiring my homeowners insurance to execute a payment..I'd be SCREWED!~ They would see the new wires and without the proper permit and licensed electrician they will VOID the coverage!

So, although you can do it all I strongly suggest you have a licensed electrician cover your back! If you are intimidated with 240VAC and 20+ amps [which is very deadly], if you do not understand neutral, ground, etc call an electrician!

Wiring a spa is not difficult honest..but stick to wiring up a lamp or other small electrical projects! penny wise and dollar foolish can be deadly!

Cactus Man

Comment

Its why i didn't..........i help out alot around the net but wont help whe comments are made like that......because what ever is said the poster will do what they would like anyway.

Comment

Working...
            X