X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion Activated Stair/Hall Ilumination

My friend has this and I hate to admit it's pretty cool. Any practical advise on installing this type of thing? I havne't looked at H Depot yet to see if they have it. Is it a low voltage thing or can it be either 110v or low volt? Any particular brand name you know is a good system? I should have looked at his more closely. I assume it has a daylight sensor somewhere so I only comes on at night? Must have a timer (adjustable?) so that it turns off after a practicle amount of time? I guess you would need a sensor at bottom of stairs and both ends of hallway at top.

Thanks for any advise.

Re: Motion Activated Stair/Hall Ilumination

it is just a simple change out like installing another switch, and they have on off and auto settings
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I did this to my stairs down to my basement, but don't have to worry about daylight hours or any such thing as it's always dark.

If you've already got switches wherever you need them, just replace them with the appropriate 3-way motion sensor switches and you should be good. Of course, that will make them turn on at all times and not just nighttime.

For mine, I only had one switch at the top of the stairs and no access to the wiring without opening a wallpapered wall so I had to improvise.

And mine only works for some reason with incandescent bulbs. I tried compact flourescents and they just flickered.

Comment

Should have mentioned - new const. so have open studs at this time. I don't understand why I can't get any good info online - "motion sensing stair illumination" "hall & stair lights" doesn't get much results. Thanks.

Comment

motion light switch
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

'Stormin,
            Try this link and order a catalog from them. I think you'll find every thing you want and then some.

www.smarthome.com/

Jim Don

PS: or go Google and then type in Home Automation Systems

Comment

google X10 home systems etc etc
              How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Comment

If you don't care too much what they look like and if wall mounting is OK you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and find outdoor light fixtures with both photo (light level) and motion sensors in them. When an area is dark and there's motion it will light up. When the motion has stopped for a few minutes or there is a good level of light they won't light up. There should be a few on display connected so you can move about and see how they work. If you wanted to get a bit fancy you can buy low Voltage motion sensors like used for alarm systems and rig up relay switching. With this you can have it power on several light fixtures and also setup a time delay so they stay on for XX minutes after all motion in the area ends. The problem I see with the wall switch replacement might be you'll want a wider area of motion sensing. If this is just for hands free light switching when you're either at the top of bottom of a stairway then follow the old "Keep It Simple" rule.

If you want to go all out, you can rig up some fixtures so they stay on 24 hours at a dim level but as you approach they switch to full brightness for a few minutes and then reset back to dim.

Comment

Look for "occupany sensors". They come in fixture mounted style like Woussko mentioned or in switch style. The switch style ones I see in almost every office area. They work quite well and have good range. A timer is not necessary as they shut off as soon as they detect the heatsource/person has left the area. Look for Leviton brand. They make several models.

Comment

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...minisite=10025

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...minisite=10022

Comment

Used 2 Leviton ODS10-ID, One at top & one at bottom of stairs. Very sensitive and they are serious about 180 deg. coverage. I don't get how the HOT doesn't "backfeed" into the other unit but I guess it doesn't matter & that's what the wire diagram shows. Very cool.

Comment

"And mine only works for some reason with incandescent bulbs. I tried compact flourescents and they just flickered."

You have to use CFLs that are specifically designed for use with dimmers, they cost a little bit more.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                          "And mine only works for some reason with incandescent bulbs. I tried compact flourescents and they just flickered."

You have to use CFLs that are specifically designed for use with dimmers, they cost a little bit more.
                          I'll pick some up and give it a shot. Any idea why this is? I mean... there's no dimming going on. They just switch on or off.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Weasel View Post
                            I'll pick some up and give it a shot. Any idea why this is? I mean... there's no dimming going on. They just switch on or off.
                            DOH! you know what, I was thinking dimmers but you were talking about the motion sensor switches. Don't know where my brain was when I replied.
                            You could still try a dimable CFL, it might just work.
                            ---------------
                            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                            ---------------
                            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                            ---------
                            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                            ---------
                            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X