X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House Fan on Smoke Alarm circuit?

I don't see any IRC code restriction saying smoke alarms must be a dedicated circuit. Could I power an HVAC system House Fan (110volt panisonic on a timer) from that circuit? I'll probably have 9 interconnected smoke alarms on a 14-3 circuit. I could grab power from the 14-2 @ first juunction box B4 the 14-3 alarm wiring. Anything wrong with that?
    ALSO - Seems like code book demands ALL of them have battery back up. I thought only the ones in the bedrooms had to have battery back up.
    Thanks.

Re: House Fan on Smoke Alarm circuit?

If I remember correctly the battery backup is a fire code requirement depending on state, and which codes thay are using. It used to be the smoke detectors had to be wired to a light circut that you would notice if the breaker was off or tripped. Now all new intalliations and sometimes replacements are to be battery backup type. Note that mixing detectors brand and battery BU or not could cause false activation. To be sure what you are doing is correct call your local AHJ and ask them, they will tell you what is proper as far as code is concerned.

Comment

There's probably more on that circuit than just smoke detectors. The 14-3 you're looking at is not for 2 separate circuits, the red wire is used for a signal wire to the other smoke alarms. To be sure the red wire was used, measure the voltage on the black wire to check if it has 120v.

Check the rating of your house fan, depending on the fan you may need a dedicated circuit.

Comment

Since the NEC required that all bedroom circuits have to be on arc-fault breakers. What most guys are doing because there's smoke detectors in the bedrooms is using the feed wire for the bedroom lights to power the smoke detectors so it's on the arc-fault. This is allowed by code but it's the one thing I believe they should not allow. With saying that your gonna have to verify what is exactly on that circuit before running a feed wire off of it. You'd also have to do a load calculation to see how many watts are on that circuit. Do you know how many watts can be on a circuit, if not don't touch anything and call an electrician.

Comment

I am putting the smokes on same circuit as the "whole house fan" since it is only 110 Volt/ 0.27 Amp. The 15 Amp circuit will be AFCI breaker. Some guys at ICC chat said it should be AOK. I understand that the Red of the 14-3 is for interconnectivity of the alarms ONLY. This is new construction so it's NOT an add on to an existing circuit. Thanks everyone.
          Last edited by 'Stormin; 01-04-2008, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Stormin View Post
            I am putting the smokes on same circuit as the "whole house fan" since it is only 110 Volt/ 0.27 Amp. The 15 Amp circuit will be AFCI breaker. Some guys at ICC chat said it should be AOK.
            Internet Chess Club, nah just messin' with ya. Gl to your sir.

Comment

Working...
            X