X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Kind Of Box To Use?

Still having shear wall problems. What do you pros do when you encounter an INTERNAL shear wall. I have 'em with OSB on both sides so will be 1" thick with sheetrock. Problem is Adj. Blue box doesn't have cable clamps. "Old work" box has cable clamps but doesn't work for 1" thickness. I guess I can put an old work box in the hole "loose" for inspection and then screw it down over the sheetrock later. They're has to be a better way?

Re: What Kind Of Box To Use?

what is the primary issue? is the wall too narrow for a standard or narrow depth box? when i had this problem with "framed on the flat" walls (1.5" thick) i made a frame for the work box out of MDF to provide the necessary additional depth.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Nope - It's the OSB + Drywall thickness. Its like working on "Old work" except the wall is 1" thick. The "ears" on a Carlon Box don't work for that and code requires cable clamps since there is no way to get at the framing to staple cable within 8" of box. I can use 2 gang adjustable depth boxes but that adds up at $3 - $4 per box. Just surprised that nothing redy made. I can't have the only house in America that required Double sheathed shear walls on the interior.

Comment

you dont have to staple if the wires are fished inside the wall that is code and for the old work boxes being set in too deep just use them as you normally would and get box extenders made by arlington and use those in the finish with longer screws to hold your devices to the box

Comment

OK - box extenders probably solve the problem. In case not is there any way to use a 4 gang box with only 3 "devices" (switches) ? Or a 3 gang but only use 2 devices? Special cover plate or something that would be code worthy?

Thanks.

Comment

Yes you can use a 3 gang and only put 2 devices in it. I do that some time and put a dummy switch, just to keep from looking for a plate to fit.

Comment

Working...
            X