X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fail Insp. Screws In Side of Box?

Still can't solve this box in 1" thick wall thing. Turns out Carlon Box Extenders Don't fit there "old work" boxes + you can't use them on a 3-4 gang box anyway so that blows. Easiest & cheapest solution would be cut the angle nails off new work boxes that have the plastic face mounting tab and hold the other side to stud with 2 screws. Technically a "violation" - Do you think most inspectors would care?

Other than that I guess it's the Arlington "One-Box" which I'm guessing will cost $5 to $8 for a 3 or 4 gang.

I can't beleive how retarded this problem is. Any other ideas?

Re: Fail Insp. Screws In Side of Box?

I have run screws through the side of a box more times than I care to remember. I have never had an inspector fail me for it yet. I don't know how picky your inspectors are where you are located, but in my area here, inspectors tend to use more common sense and realize that their is very little to worry about with the screws going throught the inside of the box.

What about if you were to get plastic 1,2,3,or 4 gang boxes that have the mounting bracket on the front of them, so they mount to the face of the stud. You could carefully cut the size hole you need into the sheathing, face mount the box into the hole and screw tthe box right to the sheathing and then rock over it. You would still have the 1/2" extension on the box for the rock, and you would have no mounting problems.

I believe most manufacturers make these boxes but I know specifically Pass and Seymour does under their Slater line.

Jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff - I guess I thought a 3 or 4 gang would need "attatchment" on BOTH sides. Maybe not? I will try the boxes you mentioned and see if fails. Mean time - I also found "Smart-Box" & "One-Box" that screw mount from the side and position wherever you want on a stud. Of coarse they cost a little more but no big. Thanks again.

Comment

So I assume your shear wall is already sheated? Correct? If so, don't cut the hole excessivelly oversized and you will have a place to screw the other side of the box to. With the Slater boxes, they have mounting holes on the opposite side of the box as well. So you will have the main mounting bracket on one side and two more screw holes on the other. To be honest with you, I only ever use opposite side mounting with 4 gang boxes. 1,2,and 3 gang boxes will sit pretty straight in the wall with just one side mounted especially with the front mount bracket boxes, those tend to hold the box straighter with the drywall.

If you have a Menards store around you, they should stock the Slater boxes, otherwise I am not certain if carlon makes a front mount braket box like that or not, this is what you are looking for: http://www.passandseymour.com/ click the link, click products, then click products for residential contractors, then click slater plastic boxes, go to the bottom of the list and click wood and steel stud bracket boxes, then click wood and steel stud bracket boxes again. It will give you exact pictures of what I am refering to.

Jeff

Comment

Yeah those Slaters are perfect. I had brought some Carlon 1 gangs home but then realized the 1 gang doesn't have cable clamps just knock outs. Plus they didn't make (Or H Depot doesn't stock) a 3 gang.

Picked up some "smart boxes" and some Arlington Extenders which I think will take care of everything. The smart boxes have great volume 38 & 57 cubes for 2 & 3 gang and they are heavy duty.

Gotta stop shopping H Depot I guess but I always hate going to an Electrical Wholesaler and buying $20 worth of stuff. Oh Well - Thanks again for ideas.

Comment

Working...
          X