Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code violation for Garage wiring

in Minnesota:
    My GF's Ex installed wiring to the detached garage. He ran the wiring from the panel inside the house, underground (dont know the depth) to a panel in the garage. He set it up for 100amp usage. He has said "I sank a 12foot rod for grounding in the garage, but it is not up to code because the grounding in the house and in the garage are not connected."

my question is... since there is a 12 foot rod used for grounding the garage, do the ground wires need to be connected from house to garage?

and where should i look for this in the codes?
    i would assume i should use the book from NFPA, but am clueless on where i should be looking. (minnesota adopted the 2005 version of this for current use)

Thanks

Re: Code violation for Garage wiring

is there a sub panel in the garage?
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

yes there is a 100 amp panel in the garage with its own grounding rod.

Comment

I ran a 100 amp circuit to my garage. used a 3/3 tech wire and put it 3.5' down with my water supply and conduit for phone/cable. I was told not to put a ground rod for the garage because it's being supplied by the house panel. I was also told to remove the link in the garage panel that ties the newtral and ground together.

I haven't had it inspected yet but got this info from the local inspector.

Comment

Why not snake a separate ground from the house to the garage? If he ran it in PVC, kill it at the house and attach a drag line and pull the cable and line to the garage. Then simply attach your ground wire to the drag line and pull the ground and power cable back to the house. Unless there are a lont of bends and he used real small PVC you might be able to snake to house to the garage and then just pull the ground back. This should be a simple fix. When pulling cable, always attach a drag line for future use, you never know when it might come in handy.

Comment

the garage has a ground... the house has a ground... but do they both need to be connected?

Comment

Yes it does need to have a ground wire off the main service.

NEC article 250-32(b)(1) states an equipment grounding conductor shall be run with the supply conductors and connected to the disconnecting means of a seperate building. It must also be connected to the grounding electrodes (ground rod). As stated, the ground conductor and the nuetral must be seperated and you can not land nuetrals and grounds on the same ground bar.

Jeff

Comment

If the garage is detached and in no way is connected, it is considered a separate building (on the same property). The correct way to have wired that job would have been to bring 2 hots and a nuetral over to the garage panel from main house panel. NO GROUND just 2 hots and a nuetral. Then, at the garage panel, treat it as a new service by sinking a separate ground rod for the garage service, You DO NOT have to connect the ground rods. It is NOT treated as a sub panel since it is a separate building. You establish that building's ground system with its own ground rod and you connect the ground bar to the nuetral using the green screw.
                Lou

Comment

Originally posted by QROKING View Post
                  If the garage is detached and in no way is connected, it is considered a separate building (on the same property). The correct way to have wired that job would have been to bring 2 hots and a nuetral over to the garage panel from main house panel. NO GROUND just 2 hots and a nuetral. Then, at the garage panel, treat it as a new service by sinking a separate ground rod for the garage service, You DO NOT have to connect the ground rods. It is NOT treated as a sub panel since it is a separate building. You establish that building's ground system with its own ground rod and you connect the ground bar to the nuetral using the green screw.
                  Lou
                  This is assuming their is no and never will be any metallic bond between the two buildings. No telephone, no tv coax, no water, no gas piping, and no metallic conduits. Any metallic bond between the two buildings and the ground wire has to be there. I find it hard to believe that he will have a 100 amp subpanel in that garage and not have a phone or tv in it. Our phone company and cable provider both ground right on the grounding electrode conductor, so there is the metallic bond between the two buildings.

Jeff

Comment

There is no phone or cable in the garage, the panel was installed for a tool shop that was never completed.. he took all of his tools with him when he left.

Comment

Originally posted by Bandion View Post
                      There is no phone or cable in the garage, the panel was installed for a tool shop that was never completed.. he took all of his tools with him when he left.
                      As long as their is no metallic link between the two buildings as I mentioned, you don't need the ground wire to be there. If you should ever put phone, TV, gas, or anything else, then yes it is required.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                      X