motor hums

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor hums

I have a single phase 230 volt motor and a 208 volt supply. I have installed a buck/boost transformer to boost the voltage from 208 to 230. The motor is new, 1/6 h.p., 1.5 FLA. It has a 5.0 uf start capacitor. The motor has a double shaft and 4 squirrel cage blowers, [2 on each side]. It blows air across a heating coil to circulate warm air. The capacitor has been changed but the motor just hums. If you give the shaft the slightest turn, the motor comes up to full speed. The shaft spins easily with no drag or binding. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Merk

Re: motor hums

I believe you have a defective capacitor. That is a classic symptom of a capacitor problem. Substitute another capacitor (same rating) or test with a capacitor tester. Also a buck/boost transformer should not be necessary as a 240V. motor will run on 208V.
    Last edited by cbjuray; 02-05-2008, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Re: motor hums

Thanks for the help. I did replace the capacitor a second time with the same results. I contacted the HVAC cvontractor who installed the motor, and he found there was a problem with the motor. The reason for the transformer was it was part of the original specs. Again thanks for the help.
      Merk

Comment

Working...
      X