X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed Stationary Stand-by Generator

Do any of you that are forum members have a stationary professionally installed and fully automatic stand-by generator for your home or small business? If yes, please tell about it. In my area and especially out away from the congested city area they are becoming quite popular when people are either doing a major electrical upgrade or for new construction of lager upscale houses. Many small businesses consider them as a must have now.

Personally I have a manual transfer switch and sub-panel with an outside power inlet. This is so I can use a good portable generator.

From what I see it looks like Generac is the sales leader, but I'll go for Kohler or Onan if I ever get into an installed residential generator.

Some info: http://www.cumminsonan.com/residenti...e?gensetId=102
    http://www.kohlerpower.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/g4108.pdf

I realize these are not direct replacements for each other. This is only to give you a ruff idea of what I have in mind.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Woussko; 03-08-2008, 05:33 PM.

Re: Installed Stationary Stand-by Generator

I dunno how big your portable generator is, but those unit's you've listed are quite large (On the scale of whole house backup, almost 100amps for a average older home). Many of the ones we install are 7-15Kwh (about 30-60amps) and are usually just for emergency backup power in residences, such as Fridge, sump pumps, couple emergency outlets and some lights. On newer large (million+) homes we've instlled 45kwh+ generators that supply the 200amp mains, so the whole house is backed up. In our area I'd assume the main reason for having the generator is for the sump pumps. Power usually goes out when it's raining, which is when the pumps are running to keep the basement dry, and if they ain't runnin, you're gettin a pool in your basement. On the whole - a good idea if you don't enjoy going outside in the rain to lug around a portable generator, try and start it (Cuz you know you haven't tried starting it in a while, and nows when you'll find out if it works or not - stationary ones usually have a weekly test cycle) and hook it up, go back inside and switch the power from the panel off and backup panel on, then repeat when power comes back on.

Comment

The stationary ones I'm talking about have automatic transfer switches, battery chargers, exercise timer and more. They are the same as big commercial standby generator setups only smaller. Most in my area are fueled by natural gas which more and more is replacing Diesel fuel for commercial installations. The Diesel engine generators are only for the huge (500 KW and up) ones anymore it seems with regard to my area.

For private homes in my area most people are going with 10-15 KW models unless they need extra power. The rich people want to run 2 central AC units and everything in their house. With many having 400 Amp service it's common to see 50, 75 and even 100 KW generators for a big house. Do keep in mind these are the big $$$ Yaupo Schight homes. The normal people think more about the $$$ and noise factors.

For now I get by here with a good 5,000 Watt portable and a GenTran 8 circuit manual transfer switch. Yes, it's harder but it also is far less costly. In addition I don't want to get into all the darn permits required in my area for a standby generator. They make you have an owner's permit you must constantly renew all the time. With the new noise laws there soon won't be any machine made that can comply from 9pm - 7am weekdays and all 24 hours on Sat or Sun. 50 DBa at 50 feet is a NO WAY. By day we can be up to 65 DBa at 50 feet. Currently the night level isn't enforced during a power failure but soon it will be if we all don't fight and I mean fight the new stupid laws.

Keep in mind that county code here now demands a minimum of 200 Amp 120/240 Volt service and a 40 space main breaker panel for any new houses or any upgrades. Many new houses are going for 400 Amp and use (2) 200 Amp main breaker panels and then a good size sub panel for the generator. It's all insane as most have piped in natural gas for all heating needs. I really wonder what on earth they need so much power for.
      Last edited by Woussko; 03-09-2008, 12:08 AM.

Comment

With the way the NEC is going (2008) you're needing more and more dedicated circuits and AFCI / GFCI's too. So a 40cir panel is about the minimum you'd want to install (according to the 2008 NEC the 40cir limit on a panel has been lifted so larger panels are going to become more available as time goes by, possibly due to the fact that almost all breakers will need to be AFCI or GFCI). Not every state's accepted the 2008 (thankfully CT hasn't yet) so all those breakers aren't needed yet.

We're starting to complete a custom home and it has an integrated crestron control system (basically EVERY light in the house is a homerun back to the crestron control panels (12/2 homerun) and controlled by a computer with touchpads in each room) and the generator panel has several circuits just to control the crestron computer and a couple dimming modules for general lighting. We're installing a 15kwh generator for this house and the homeowners only want to have some general lights, sump pumps a few outlets and fridges on it. They really weren't THAT interested in the geneator but we talked them into it. Since we've been there it's rained several times and the 'lower' basement (it's 2 levels) flooded with several inches of water because we didn't have the sump pumps hooked up. The upper leve has the sump pump hooked up and hasn't flooded. If the power were to go out their basement would be a total wreck, especially since it's a finished basement. Some people just don't think of a generator as a necessity till everything's lost. Another house we've done, the house is next to a small brook that totally overflows when it rains and floods their lower level. They've actually put up basically a concrete wall around the house and have a generator on a pedestal outside that runs off natural gas, and they want us to ADD another generator as a backup to the backup generator incase it fails that runs on propane. They have several pumps in the house and that is ALL they are worried about running. The flooding was so bad they even have holes in the basement finished walls so they remove the "hole cover" and stick in a sort of Blower system to dry the walls out. It was almost no problem getting them to want a generator, however the backup backup generator was their idea

All in all, Great idea to have them, or the very least - in a new home - leave provisions for them to be wired in easily. If it's a new home, no reason not to just throw in a 100amp sub panel with all the important circuits so it can easily be converted later on. I'm for them!

Looking at guardian's website, even their Quietsource generators were over your dba limit, at a running dba of 60-68dba. During a power outtage though I wonder how many of the neighbors will be over the persons house that has the lights on or staying home complaining that the neighbor has their lights on and it's too loud!

Comment

I have a 30 kw 3 phase, generator in the generator shed, and a smaller single phase 5 kw in the same shed, can choose either generator, via a transfer switch in the generator shed, both on propane, and can run on gasoline as well, but have a main manual transfer switch, on the farms distribution pole, so any building on this side of the road can be operated off of generator power, but it is not "automatic".
          It has a battery charger and a block heater on thermostat, and so on.

But I do not want the thing running just to run, if the power is off,
          and the manual switch is much cheaper, (I have a walk in cooler and freezer [freezer and cooler not ran all the time, only when butchering] and some shop tools that are three phase).
          also have a roto converter if necessary for making three phase.

I have never checked it but I bet my generator is less than 50db at 50 feet, I will try to remember to check it some time. it is very quite, out side the building, It just is slightly louder than a car, running. But then the motor is a 6 cyclinder and I think that helps,
          Last edited by BHD; 03-09-2008, 01:16 AM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD

Is your 30 KW direct drive or a large belt drive setup? If the engine RPM is kept low that really helps with noise.
            ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            In my case my 5000 Watt is actually on a home made wood skid base. I'm using a 2 cylinder cast iron Wisconsin TJD engine running at 1800 RPM and a belt drive generator at 3600 RPM. The engine has some power to spare and thus keeps closer to constant speed. It also helps with motor starting. I rigged up a large farm tractor muffler and flex connection. That really makes it quiet and the exhaust is piped outside. The machine sits in a cinder block garage. I prop the overhead door up about 6" and have a fan at the other end. Outside it's nice and quiet. In time I may upgrade as I can't begin to run the central AC unit. Time will tell.

I know you're out on a farm and thus with large motors need 3 phase power. Manual control is nice as long as you're home. Many people in my area really do need fully automatic operation and being YUPPEE types would never bother to maintain or exercise their generator. They have service contracts and auto weekly exercising. I hate YUPEE types and all their Yaupo Schight ways.

For anyone wondering about "Yaupo Schight" try to figure it out. I bet you can and will soon laugh.

Comment

It is a direct drive unit, and 1800 rpm. as you can see it is in a concrete block building as well, on the small unit I hook up an exhaust pipe to it when or if used. the engine was off a old combine that was replaced, and the generator is a Katolight, I bought used from them it came in as a trade in with a blow engine.

I have 1000 gallon propane tank that is dedicated to the generators.

at the expense of running a generator, I would prefer the choice of when it is ran,

Ideally I would like to have a battery set up with an inverter as well for the house that could be used in minimum power needs so one could have lights and possibly a fan or other operating, (we have a magic heat on the wood stove, (a heat exchanger with a fan)). and then use the generator a few hrs a day when needed to recharge the freezers and recharge batteries (If I had the inverter set up), our water needs are such that a windmill fills a storage tank and the farm can gravity feed off of it, (yes I do have a jet pump for normal pressure needs), and I do have a electric back up submersible pump for a back up if the mill is down or no wind, but I do have two windmills pumping or can pump to the storage tank, the wells are 1/2 mile apart, one mill is at the house well and the second is like I said 1/2 mile down the road and it pumps the water up to the house, if needed, (summer time I usually need both mills pumping) to keep up with the cattle water needs.

years ago my Dad done away with all the "old methods" and had jsut the electric well submersible pump, and jsut a small pressure tank, and in 1977 we had a ice storm hit and took out nearly ever east west power pole and line in about a 1500 square mile area and out power was out for over 30 days, and it was difficult the first week as there were drifts 20 feet high was well, and travel was nearly impossible, after they got dozers out to break up the drifts and open up the roads my dad bought at inflated prices a small generator big enough to run the well and we would pump water to the cattle and then fill containers and then shut off the well and run other things freezers and refrigerator and other needs, they ran it for about 10 hrs a day, and used over 300 gallons of gasoline in it. all carried by 5 gallon can from the storage tanks about 100 yards away and over one of the 20 foot drifts, (I was in town at that time and we were with power in the town for about 7 days).

When I took the farm over I put in wood heat, and in a few years the windmills and storage tank, and other provisions to cut the total dependency on electricity. but at first having a generator was the easiest way to achieve some from of back up, and is still needed, or at lest desired, (we do keep enough canning jars on hand to be able to can most of the items we keep in freezers if the need would ever arise). and changed from an electric range to a propane unit and can be match lite in the oven as well, (most modern oven use a glow bar for a pilot for the oven and can not be used with out electrical power).
              and have kerosene pressurized lanterns for lighting if necessary, they put out the light of about 150 to 200 watt bulb, http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=1025 and find them very nice.
              Also have some LED flash lights (two continuous weeks on a set of batteries is not to bad),
              I have hooks and hangers prepositioned for the lanterns, and in the shop I have wires stretched and light chains on the wires to hang the lanterns on to be able to move them along the area needed, (an old trick that was in the barn my grand father used with the old Dietz lanterns when harnessing horses).
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BHD; 03-10-2008, 12:17 AM.
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures and info. This country needs more people like you.

In my area there's a company called Banner Power Co. that sells standby inverter package systems for residential and light commercial use. I refuse to deal with them as they are known to be SKREWERS in that the product is worth maybe 1/4 of the prices they demand for them. They are nice looking and easy install, but people I personally know that have them are angry about low quality junk.

Comment

I am interested in wind turbines, Or electrical wind power,

my son I think found me a tower or possibly two towers, there old cell phone towers that were taken out of service, I would like to go grid tie system if possible, the reason is batteries are very very expensive and relative short life, normally 10 years or less, even if your dealing with the commercial L16's or better,

Personally I would like to build my own unit, there would be some controls, frequency monitoring system and a wind speed system to cut in and out, and some form of a shut down system, but the basic generator would be a induction 3 phase motor, as most will generate when over speed ed (jsut as there is slip in the motor) when you slip it on the over speed it will generate normally, (yes the wind turbines that are out there are designed more carefully to generate than motor, but the grid holds them on frequency. do to this feature you need a special prop, to adjust to the wind conditions, or a variable pitch prop, (and some times you may need a circuit to motor the turbine for a few seconds to get to turn), unless you have a system the blades will be set to drag and turn at the lower speed and when the speed get up to a rpm when they will go in to lift mode, (water wind mill works on drag or jsut get pushed, and a wind turbine works on blade lift or it flies into the wind), so designing the blade controller is I think or will be the biggest challenge,
                  (when I was working on it a few years ago, my electrical company basically said no, but the laws have changed and I think they will be much more receptive to the idea now, as by law they need 10% of there energy wind generated and if they can get some with having to buy it i think will be a positive), I have some ideas on the blade pitching system but would like to make a small prototype say using a 1 to 5 hp motor, and test the system out an then either make a number of smaller units or make a large unit using in the 20 to 25 hp motor as the generator, I would like to be able to generator all of our farms electrical power needs. I do not know if it come to pass, but to meet my electrical needs on a general basis wind is the only economical way to do it, solar would cost in the hundreds of thousands, there is no water so hydro is out of the question,

on a dc system one can use a fixed pitch blade system and then let it change in speed, but the asynchronous system uses a locked speed, and needs a variable pitch system, but much easier to get larger amounts of power out of, with off the shelf items,

http://www.windmission.dk/workshop/BonusTurbine.pdf

http://www.windpower.org/en/tour/wtrb/async.htm
                  the entire "tour"
                  http://www.windpower.org/en/tour.htm
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

anybody have any first hand experience with dual fuel conversion kits for small portable generators? i've found a few companies that sell kits that allow a portable gasoline generator to run on either gasoline or natural gas. kits cost about $200, exclusive of expense of providing access to a supply of natural gas. any experiences with these out there?

http://www.propanecarbs.com/small_engines.html
                    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

BHD

Keep thinking and working on it. Someday you'll have your own very special equipment there. It's too bad you can't go hydro as we all know the wind isn't a constant. What's wild is to rig up a large electric motor with belt drive so it spins an engine. Then open the throttle some on the engine so the motor is generating current and take a look at your electric meter. I would not normally advise people doing such things unless they have a good understanding of what's involved and needed safety equipment too.

As for making wind power and selling it to your electric company, do research it as in many areas laws do require them to buy such power. This would be wind, hydro or some other method where fuel is not burned.

WARNING TO ALL: Never, ever parallel connect a generator to your power lines or to the building electrical system without a properly installed transfer switch or other total and positive isolation switch. Connecting them together = Disaster time

Comment

to the Propane conversion question, the answer is yes, and I bought from that company, and the product is good, and the service I received was good.

(I had typed out a nice reply and the computer crashed so I lost it this will be a short version)

I used the dual fuel kit, (note: dual fuel, my not be as dual fuel as one would think, yes I can run it on gasoline, but I can not get it to start on gasoline now, I either have to start it on propane or starting fluid, it changes the air flow some, and the directions will note that was well), but since I run it on LP 98% of the time that is not a major problem, and it still gives the option even if there are some problems. If I was doing again I would consider the spud or the LP carb if available for the unit. and it uses the KN controller.

small systems are vapor systems, if you use to small of a tank it is possible to have the propane cool to the point of not vaporizing fast enough, (usually very cold out and it has to reach -40 for pure propane with butains in the mix it may be sooner), large motors use a liquid system,
                        my large generator uses liquid or high pressure vapor, but in a fork lift situation with a small tank, or similar the vaporization of the propane would be so rapid that it would cool it so it would not vaporize it properly. my large generator uses a fork lift conversion system and it is dual fuel. it then has a "vaporizer" on it that uses the coolant temperature to vaporize the propane to vapor from the liquid.

I do have the extra safety fuel shut off, (as at times my unit is in a building) if your unit is to be used in a enclosed structure you would be required to have the extra fuel safety shut down, the small motor units work by vacuum, and the lager motor units usually work off of oil pressure or other, as they use a electrical shut down on the line, or actually hold it open. and on the small since there usually is not a electrical system or oil pressure port, to put a pressure gage, they work off of vacuum no vacuum no fuel,
                        and did have some problems with the safety valve once, The valve in it got sticky and would not open up all the way and did cause a run issues,

the duel fuel did come in nice when it failed as I was able to add gasoline and run the generator and finish the job, (I was using it as a portable unit). I use a BBQ tank when using as a portable.

propane will stay good for many, many, many, years and will not degrade, as gasoline will, if one has a gasoline motor and wants a long storing fuel propane is a good choice. diesel is a good choice as well but it will go bad in a number of years, a lot better than gasoline but not forever, (temperature has a big role to play its stability), but in time it will evaporate and get thick as well.

TO start the unit I press both primer buttons, (manual by pass) and hold for about 7 to 10 seconds, and then pull the rope two times and it usually will start on the second pull, the pulls need to in fairly close together, if on has a electric start, jsut push the primer and crank, or jsut crank it will build the vacuum or oil pressure in a few seconds, depending on the safety,

one does not need the safety system if the using the unit out of doors, but use it out of doors only, if that is the situation,

PROPANE IS HEAVIER THAN AIR, AND TO USE IN AN ENCLOSED LOCATION IF A LEAK OCCURS THE PROPANE CAN SIT IN A LOW SPOT FOR A LONG TIME IF UNDISTURBED AND CREATE AN EXPLOSIVE CONDITION, DO NOT USE WHERE FLAME OR PILOT LIGHTS COULD BE A PROBLEM, TREAT IT AS AN EXPLOSION HAZARD,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ALWAYS USE AN APPROVED SAFETY TRANSFER SWITCH WHEN USE AND EMERGENCY GENERATOR, NEVER NEVER NEVER BACK FEED A LINE,

for the sake of information, a grid tie windturbine or any other APPROVED grid tie electrical generating system is dependant on the grid operating for it ability to function, if the grid goes down so does the generating capacity of the wind turbine, it will imeadeatly shut its self off in a milla second, and will not feed the power line, there are a number of safety systems that prevent this from happening, ( A GRID TIE SYSTEM IS NOT A EMERGENCY BACK UP SYSTEM ),

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ON ANY EMERGENCY BACK UP SYSTEM USE A TRANSFER SWITCH (LIVES MAY DEPEND ON IT), OR KEEP TOTAL SEPARATE FROM THE CURRENT ELECTRICAL SYSTEM, by use of extension cords or similar,
                        Last edited by BHD; 03-12-2008, 11:35 AM. Reason: spell checking and additional information,
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

For anyone that needs to store gasoline, I recommend two things.

A) Get yourself a product called Sta-Bil made by Gold Eagle and forget other brands. Use 2 times (but not more) than the recommend dose of this product and mix it with brand new fresh gasoline.

B) Get and use only high quality cans or a storage tank that's air tight other than to vent pressure.

After about 1-1/2 years of storage, use up the gasoline somehow and then get fresh.

Please note that there are a good many chemical fuel stabilizers for Diesel fuel too. If needed look them up and do some reading. Be careful using them as you do not want to damage the injectors or pump. Ask around places that rebuild injector pumps. Buy good quality brand fuel and try to use it up before too long. Generators need to be run every week and if you can, put a load on them and let them run an hour or two. Always allow for no load warming up and cool down.
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Propane is a very nice fuel if you can deal with it. In my area we are not allowed to have much on hand. In case of a major fire the tanks KABOOM and we can't have such in the city. We have piped natural gas and that works well. Diesel is good but in cold temps it can wax and clog filters, gets thick and won't flow unless heated and starting a Diesel engine in cold weather takes some doing. If you can keep the engine warm with a water jacket heater, have a heated "Day Tank" and treat your fuel or better yet buy Jet Engine fuel, then you're set. The fuel choice depends on codes, location and what other engines you have around. Going dual fuel is a nice option. I would keep a gasoline carb for your engine and be ready to switch it in case of problems.

An idea for people out in the country is to think about using a PTO drive generator and your tractor as a backup to your main standby generator. You can have a second manual transfer switch where you have a choice of generator A or generator B. The main transfer switch would be for Line or to the second transfer switch. Have a good licensed electrician install this.
                          Last edited by Woussko; 03-12-2008, 02:16 PM.

Comment

yes if you want to store gasoline for any length of time,

I used "PRI-G" fuel stabilizer,

I used 60 gallon drums, filled to about 90% capacity, and sealed, tightly, (sealing it tightly is the only way one can store for any duration), as the lighter compounds will evaporate out of the fuel leaving a heavy thick liquid and in time a gunk called varnish,

I have stored gasoline for nearly 3 years this way and it was as good as it when it the drums, it appeared, NO I did not do any test on it,

but they shipped gasoline in drums all over the world in WW2 on common transport ships,

Chevron had a web site up for many years (around the Y2K thing) on how to long term store gasoline,

but if one does choose to store the fuel, place it in a cool and well ventilated area, and where if a leak would occur it would be discovered and could be contained and if a fire would break out it would be such that it would be isolated, (do not store in your garage or basement), store in a storage shed or other out building or under a shade tree. (note: a vented tank will kill a tree).

(DISCLAMER: follow all codes and regulations for your area).
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

they have change the page a little but the basic information is still there, (longer term gasoline storage)

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/bull...ine/index.html

the sub pages where the basic info is,

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...g_storage.aspx

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf..._handling.aspx

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...detecting.aspx

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...disposing.aspx

http://www.chevron.com/products/ourf...ackground.aspx
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X