X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowing down my SFPM on my Ridgid bandsaw

Is there anyway to slow the speed of my bandsaw? The saw itself has no adjustments for speed, but I was curious if there was a way to minimize the amount of power flow to the motor to slow the SFPM (standard feet per minute).

Re: Slowing down my SFPM on my Ridgid bandsaw

You need a thing called a Variac. It is a variable transformer, you plug it into the wall socket then plug saw in to it, adjust dial for speed you want saw to go. Be sure the voltage/current specs meet that of the saw. They can be bought on e-bay either new or used. Lou

Comment

Thanks a bunch QROKING.

Comment

A Variac autoformer will work for a series wound brush type power tool motor but not for an induction motor such as most stationary machines use. An induction motor needs to be run within 10% of design Voltage or the motor will burn up soon.

What you need to do is to change the motor pulley to one of smaller diameter or to change the motor to one designed for a lower running speed. What you really need is a different bandsaw that was designed with more than just one running speed. Stepped cone pulleys come to mind like on a lathe or drill press.

I have not seen the Ridgid bandsaw near enough to know what it would take to change the pulleys, but I bet it can be done. The cost and efforts may make you want another brand/model.

Comment

Working...
        X