X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't be electrocuted?!

Saw Modern Marvels and lineman are starting to use helicopters to drop them directly on power lines to work so they never touch ground. They straddle both lines and shimmy to where they need to go. Why doesn't the guy get electrocuted?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Can't be electrocuted?!

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Saw Modern Marvels and lineman are starting to use helicopters to drop them directly on power lines to work so they never touch ground. They straddle both lines and shimmy to where they need to go. Why doesn't the guy get electrocuted?
    Without a path to gound it is not a circut it is merely potential.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

That's the theory but reality is different. Ask anyone who's been to Guam about brown tree snakes crossing both power lines. Cause brownouts all the time. Snakes aren't touching ground either.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

On some power distribution towers there is more than one conductor per phase. They are connected in parallel at several points. If that's the case you can touch more than one wire as long as both are at the same potential. In the case of snakes and in many cases large birds flying with the snake getting zapped it's where either the bird & snake or just the snake or just the bird making contact with two or more wires at different potential. The highest (above ground) wires normally grounding conductors.

Ben Please
        Last edited by Woussko; 03-16-2008, 10:36 PM.

Comment

I guess I don't know then because without a path to gound you have no circuit.

Mark

Comment

http://www.fort.usgs.gov/resources/e...electrical.asp

I know that but did the snakes know that?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Very good find. There is your path to ground.

When the snakes simultaneously touch live and grounded conductors, they create faults, short circuits, and electrical damages. This results in frequent losses of power to parts of Guam and even island-wide blackouts.

Mark

Comment

I think this is what he is referring to, but watching the sparks when the line and the chopper is bonded together looks a little shocking.
                http://www.mikeholt.com/HighPowerJobVideo.php

you do not have to touch ground or earth, to get a flow of voltage through you, all you need is to become a conductor between two imbalanced flows of electrons, take the two hots on single phase power, or two or more phases on three phase, or even if it is grounded and there are multiple flows on the ground, (called stray voltage). In lighting the air can even be one of the conductors.
                Last edited by BHD; 03-16-2008, 11:55 PM.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

and for snakes in power stuff,
                  Attached Files
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

it would only let me load 5 pic a page,
                    I found these on the net a few years ago, and thought it was interesting at least.
                    Attached Files
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Around here rodents and crows have done lots of damage to the electrical system. Thanks to the installation of more high Voltage fuses normally the damages are limited and can be fixed quickly. Before then it was common to find burned up transformers where there was an animal or large bird making a connection from the transformer can to one of the high Voltage primary side conductors.

Today they chew up telephone and cable TV cables.

Large Bald Eagle trying to fry with a deer head crashes into power line:
                      http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...wer-Outage.php
                      http://www.9news.com/news/watercoole...?storyid=63922
                      Last edited by Woussko; 03-17-2008, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X