Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220v wiring question

ok guys and girls,
    My samona 3 HP 8Amp, 22volt, dust collector has arrived.
    The original delta DC,is stuck on a ship which has been aground stuck in the mud, in the StLawernce river for 3 weeks now . because of the delay in shipping ( I have been waiting for 3 weeks only to be told two more weeks or more), Boss tools let me have the bigger DC at the same low price as the 1 1/2 HP delta ......
    now the plug on the samona is a 3prong plug with the prongs set horizontal to the ground pin as opposed to vertical, as on a 110V plug. Now I have an unsued 220V line that I can use which is connected to the mains box. this line has a red , a white, a black and a ground wire. I have purchased a recptile 15A 220V to accomodated the plug on the samona, it fits in a regular 110v box but has just one plug, compared to the 110V ones which have two .
    Finally my question is, how do I wire this plug .
    I think I put the red wire on one side and the black on the other .and the ground wire to the green screw. does that mean I not use the white? Or does the white wire go to the green screw and the ground wire to the receptical box?
    §m€llŸ™

Re: 220v wiring question

http://www.fdsons.com/250v-3wire-sin...768c6a7a208ad0

this is the recepticale I have
    §m€llŸ™

Comment

Yes, you are correct, the red and black are the hots and the green goes to the green screw on the plug. You do not use the white which is nuetral because you don't have it or need it. Go for it.

Comment

ok thanks buddy
        §m€llŸ™

Comment

QROKING

Has it ... Wire nut the white in case you need it later. Black and red are both hots and connect on each side and green or bare goes to ground.

If you have #12 wire and a 2 pole 20 Amp breaker you can use a 20 Amp 250 (max) Volt receptacle which accepts both 15 and 20 Amp plugs. One slot is a T

With a 3 HP motor, I would think you would need a 20 or even 30 Amp circuit because of starting current demands. This is with it running on 240 Volts single phase.
          Last edited by Woussko; 04-04-2008, 09:03 PM.

Comment

The wire I am using will run to a splice box, where a large 22ov line,which comes from the breaker panel to a slice box then runs to a large stove female plug recepticale for a kitchen oven/stove. this stove line is not in use. so I will disconnect it in the splicebox and connect this smaller line for the DC in there , but wiil not connect the white wire. The wire going to the DC plug receptical is slightly smaller than the one going to the stove, but large than the wires we use to do regular wall recepticals.
            I am not familar with wire gauges but do know that different sizes are required depending on current required. the white wire in the receptical for the 3HP DC I will cut to make room for the red and black since it will be a tight fit and the larger wire is less maleable. but I can leave extra wire in the wall so if ever I need to use the white I would just have to pull it out of the wall ,the wall is made of that thin panneling everybody uses in basements so easy to pull off . as I have done , since in that wall I changed a 110v receptical to face the other way so as to be able to plug in the ribbonsaw err bandsaw.(have access to both sides of wall, (wall made up of 2x3's) I have to run into town for some groceries, so I might just runover to the local hardware store, and get a bigger box for that receptical, because I wont be able to put a wire clamp on it, and the clamp inside the receptical looks like a pretty tight fit, ( sees swearing and cursing situation developing).
            The DC will be in this little room just off of my work shop thus I can close the door and cut down on the sound the DC will produce ( silence is bliss)

§m€llŸ™

Comment

Smelley,get an electrician out there to help you.You will save money in long run. re:burning down your house.

Comment

If you come out of the existing plug, and down size the wire you will should (need) to put a breaker properly sized in line to protect the down sized wire, other wise the wire size should be able to either carry the (30 or 50 amps?) that that original breaker is, or put in a new 220 volt breaker, of (I would think 20 amp) and use #12 wire to the new plug, (what ever you do you do not want more breaker than the capacity of the smallest gage of wire on the circuit that is in the wall. {you can have larger wire}), if the stove is not in use one could probly re breaker the the panel and then run wire from that point, but if for some reason some one puts a electric stove back in they will up the breaker size and then the wire that was put in for the Dust collector will be under sized, unless the DC line is removed at that time.

(this is with out seeing the lay out, and the placement of things and or how things are presently wired)

My thought is, some depending on where the stove plug is I would probly put in a small sub panel or tie on to the line in the same gage and extend it to a sub panel, and then use it to run two or three 220 volt out lets in the shop area,)

If your putting one 220 volt plug in the shop I would put a couple more in If it was me, I run most of the heavy-er tools off of 220volt , the table saw, the arm saw, the planer, the shaper, the wide sander, I run more tools off of 220 volt than off of 110 volt.

(I would suggest what "Nobody" said and get some one who can get it done correctly. for your safety)
                Last edited by BHD; 04-23-2008, 10:57 AM.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Bonjour [ Hello ]

sorry being little late but hope the OP did catch this one before too late the 3 hp at 240volt will run at 17 amp which i did check with my chart and you will need at least 25 amp breaker some electrical supply centre will stock this but i am sure you can run with 30 amp breaker it withen of 250% max per NEC code [ The CEC is about the same way ]

and you should run with #10 wires with 6-30 R repectale and plugs to handle the load.

Merci,Marc

[ French verison below ]

désolé être petit en retard mais espérer que l'OP ceci a pris l'un avant que trop tard le 3 cv * 240 volts courra * 17 ampli que j'ai vérifié avec mon graphique et vous aurez besoin d'au moins 25 concasseur d'ampli quelque centre de provision électrique stockera ceci mais je suis sûr que vous pouvez courir avec 30 concasseur d'ampli il withen de 250% maximum par le code de NEC [Le CEC est de la même façon]

Et vous devez courir avec * #10 fil avec 6-30 R repectale et les bouchons pour contrôler le chargement.

Merci,Marc

Comment

Working...
                  X