X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tracing 220v back to panel

How do I go about tracing a 220v single phase curcuit back to the main curcuit breaker panel? My father, now deceased, added 2 outlets from? or extended a 220v curcuit out to the garage to power these outlets. I know that I have a 110v curcuit(s?) going to the garage from the panel as it is labeled. The 220v curcuit is not labled. we do have an electric clothes dryer and an electric stove, both 220v. The reason behind this is I now have 220v/ 2 hp dust collector that I want to install in location approximately 20' or less from a 220 v outlet. Is this ok?

Thanks for your help.

Re: tracing 220v back to panel

If you look in the mnain panel you should see 2 circuit breakers marked 20A with a bar or some sort of connection that ties the 2 of them together. You will notice thatyour stove has a breaker marked 40 or 50 with the 2 of them joined together. If the job was done right you should see 2 20A breakers jouined together. Most likely thatis the double pole breaker for the garage 220v line. Shut the breaker off and see if that line in the garage is dead, then you have the right one. It's OK to be 20 feet away. Lou

Comment

Re: tracing 220v back to panel

If you look in the main panel you should see 2 circuit breakers marked 20A with a bar or some sort of connection that ties the 2 of them together. You will notice that your stove has a breaker marked 40 or 50 with the 2 of them joined together. If the job was done right you should see 2 20A breakers joined together. Most likely that is the double pole breaker for the garage 220v line. Shut the breaker off and see if that line in the garage is dead, then you have the right one. It's OK to be 20 feet away. Lou

Comment

Working...
      X