why need those sockets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why need those sockets

bought a house few months ago. found some sockets on basement. refer to those photos please, seems to me those sockets should not be in a residential building, am I right?
    Attached Files

Re: why need those sockets

more photos
    Attached Files

Comment

It doesn't look like there is anything too unusual with those outlets. They are standard nema 5-15 receptacles. The only thing the labeling would seem to indicate is some of the outlets instead of being directly hot wired, are switched while the others were wired to a timer unit. Someone must have had some equipment down there at some point which they wanted to run that way. At least they seem to have done a good job labeling everything.
      Last edited by Velosapien; 04-20-2008, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
        It doesn't look like there is anything too unusual with those outlets. They are standard nema 5-15 receptacles. The only thing the labeling would seem to indicate is some of the outlets instead of being directly hot wired, are switched while the others were wired to a timer unit. Someone must have had some equipment down there at some point which they wanted to run that way. At least they seem to have done a good job labeling everything.
        What does that "Switched" mean?
        What does that "Timed" mean?
        Will that "Timer Unit" be used for a timer?
        What does that "Alive" mean here?

Can I use it as normal receptacle?

thanks,

Comment

Keep in mind I am just making assumptions based on what the labeling would seem to indicate. The ones labeled "Switched" should indicate that the top outlet is turned on or off with the top switch. It's acting as killswitch for the plug. Say you plugged in a lightbulb into that receptacle, you could flip it on or off with the top switch. The "timed" plug would seem to indicate this receptacle came on and off on a timer unit that appeared to plug in to twistlock receptable on the last picture. My guess is since there is no timer there anymore these are non-functional. The receptacle labeled "live" would seem to indicate its wired conventionally to always be hot.

Don't assume anything from this though. If you are unsure/unconfortable testing these yourself you should get an electrician to come over and verify things for you.

Comment

The timed outlets are hooked up to the timer switch you have pictured. There is a switch that switched it to either timed, or hot. Basicly making them timed, or always on. There is also a switch pictured, that is my guess the switch for the switched labeled outlets. The alive labeled outlet I am guessing is not switched in anyway and is hot.

Looks to me like either they use to start thier garden growing in the basement before spring hit, or... they were growing, well, "medicine"!

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
              Keep in mind I am just making assumptions based on what the labeling would seem to indicate. The ones labeled "Switched" should indicate that the top outlet is turned on or off with the top switch. It's acting as killswitch for the plug. Say you plugged in a lightbulb into that receptacle, you could flip it on or off with the top switch. The "timed" plug would seem to indicate this receptacle came on and off on a timer unit that appeared to plug in to twistlock receptable on the last picture. My guess is since there is no timer there anymore these are non-functional. The receptacle labeled "live" would seem to indicate its wired conventionally to always be hot.

Don't assume anything from this though. If you are unsure/unconfortable testing these yourself you should get an electrician to come over and verify things for you.
              what he said... missed his post when reading....

Comment

My guess is it was a home photo darkroom as 1 outlet says "safelight".Timed etc might have been for a dryer so it wasn't accidentally left running too long.Timed might have been meant to use that switch to turn on a bell type timer..only the original user would really know but with even a light you can figure out what switches what.
                With a sink there and the distance things look to be thats my guess.
                Sam

Comment

Hey thats a good call on it possibly having been a photo dark room. Can't believe I missed that given I used to have one at home The timed outlets are very likely for running the photo enlarger which is usually controled by an external timer device to control exposure length.

Comment

Good thinking about it maybe having been a darkroom. I had to look at the pictures several times. If he is worried or upset about the receptacles, switches and more, he should have an electrician remove them and end up with what he needs/wants. If anyone saw pictures of workshops for an electronics tech or small appliance repair shops run from home, they would really wonder about them.

Comment

You say this looks like it should be on a commercial job? You're right and if all houses were wired as to commercial specifications , there would be less house fires.Hooray for the person that did it, but what the heck the application is for is beyond me, and i don't care either long as the grounding is correct.

Comment

I would say a dark room also (or cash crop room).

G3

Comment

Photo darkroom.
                          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

HA HA HA I was thinking "CASH CROP ROOM" TOO!!!

Comment

I really think that was once a photographic dark room setup. Don't you just love the totally wild, multi configuration single receptacle? I remember seeing them years ago. 15 or 20 Amp and up to 250 Volts AC. Put simple it's about as NON NEMA as you can get.

1-15, 2-15 and 2-20 all in one device ...
                              Last edited by Woussko; 12-13-2009, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X