X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Backup for sump pump

Is it possible to install a free standing battery/device outside a sump to be activated whenever there is a power failure? In essence, what I want to do is use my existing sump pumps in my sump and connect its power cord to a marine-type battery/circuitry device and then connect a cord from the battery device to household AC current. So when the power fails, the battery will take over. At all other times the AC current will power the pump. I do not want to go to the expense of another sump pump since my sump currently has two installed one on top of the other. Further, I am not interested in installing a "water line" method for this purpose. Is there such a battery backup device/system available on the market? I've noticed inside commercial buildings a similar setup for emergency lighting whenever there is a power failure. Some computer systems are also backed up this way. Can anyone help?

Re: Battery Backup for sump pump

I would do a google search for battery bk up devices
    there should be plenty of info on that subject
    §m€llŸ™

Comment

This is what you want:

http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/Produ...bsmtsentry.htm

Comment

From my understanding, he does not want to do a new battery back up system, he wants to keep what he has, and have an emergency battery system for it.

What you see in buildings for emergency lighting and also for computer back up during power failure for the most part is not going to work for you. Those items are very low amperage and therefore the battery back up can last a few hours. A sump pump will drain a battery down fairly quickly doing what you want to do. The battery back up systems you see above are designed to operate on AC/DC and therefore can use a 12 volt car battery. I doubt your current sump pumps are designed to run on DC.

Their may be some sort of a system out there to do what you are looking to do, but I am not familiar with it. You may be able to do something like a 12 volt car battery with a constant trickle charger keeping it charged. Then use a AC/DC convertor like made for camping hook it up to the battery and then plug a sump pump into that. That should keep a pump going for at least a little while.

The best option overall is to install one of the above battery backup pumps.

Jeff

Comment

What you can do is use what is called an "INVERTER". The inverter changes 12 volts DC from a battery to 120volts ac for your pump. The size of the inverter you'll need is based on the current the pump draws. You can buy a 1000 watt inverter pretty cheap these days. It will run a motoer than uses about 8 amps for intermittant use. Your pump probably is a 4 amp pump or less so a 1000 watt inverter should be fine. Depending on how long the power is out and how often the pump turns on depends on how much time you will get from a bettery. Typically you need a DEEP CYCLE battery, and most likely you can put 2 of them in parallel connected to a trickle charger. you can use a small contactor so that when the power goes off it connects the system to the inverter and off the regular power when the power comes back on it will go back automatically back to regular power. My friend does this same thing with his garage door openers and they work fine. The key to the whole thing is 1. What is the power draw of the pump. 2. Get the right size inverter, 3. Get the right size battery(s). They make some very good deep cycle batteries that will work great for this use, but they are VERY heavy!! Lou

Comment

Something like this should work and it's a fully automatic package. The $$$ for it most likely will have you backing down and going for a "Backup Sump Pump Kit" rather than this. Now if you can use this for more than just the sump pump then it may well be worth the cost to you. You can use a couple of group 8D deep cycle batteries and have loads of run time. Again, it all comes down to the $$$ factor and how much you are ready to invest.

(should work) http://www.tripplite.com/products/pr...productID=2939

(more capacity and it's 24 Volt - 2 12 Volt batteries in series)
            http://www.tripplite.com/products/pr...?productID=174

If you are ready to take the plunge and spend some good $$$ then I recommend contacting "The Banner Power Co" at http://www.bannerbackup.com and later maybe calling them up. They have some really great battery backup power systems where you can use a portable generator to recharge the battery bank in case of a long power failure.
            (contact info) http://bannerbackup.com/about_us.html (Ask for Mr. Fred Banner)
            Last edited by Woussko; 04-28-2008, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Why aren't you interested in a water powered system. No municipal system?

J.C.

Comment

I have a 1/2hp sump pump hooked up to a Xantrex 1000 inverter hooked up to a deep cycle battery hooked up to a 2amp trickle charger, and it works perfectly. Whole package under $100. Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
                X