GFI circuit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFI circuit

Is a gfi required for outdoor light fixtures?

Re: GFI circuit

Not required for outdoor lighting circuit, but it is required if you have an outside receptacle (outlet). And the GFCI receptacle has to be in an approved waterproof box.
    Jim Don

Comment

Be sure any outdoor lighting other than all plastic is well grounded. Is it something you can come into contact with, or is it up out of the way? Is it on a pole?

Comment

3 lights and a fan are in a porch ceiling. 2others are mounted next to a garage door about 7 feet high.

Comment

I take it you're still talking about lights being up high and not receptacles (outlets), right? You don't have much to worry about with the light fixtures -- chances are the only time you're going to come into contact with them is when you have to change a dead light bulb. And then you're going to have the switch turned off. My only concern was whether there is a receptacle that you might have somewhere, like located in the post lamp itself. That recept. would need to be connected to the downstream side of a GFCI outlet or on a GFCI breaker to comply. The new NEC 2008 codes, I'm seeing, has taken ALL exemptions from garages and GFCIs. Now even the recept. for the garage door opener has to be GFCI, as do any other outlets up high, and even the outlet for the garage refrig or freezer has to be GFCI. If you're concerned about the lights being properly grounded (as per Woussko's post) just run a continuity test from the box (if metal) or the lamp fixture itself to ground to satisfy yourself. I still wouldn't worry about that too much though. Doesn't pose nearly the danger that an non-GFCI does in a wet location.
          Jim Don

Comment

Working...
          X