Requirements for GFI/Outlets near sinks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requirements for GFI/Outlets near sinks

I am installing a small sink in one corner of my basement with a vanity - I'd like to install an outlet and know it must be a GFI receptacle. The outlet would be used very infrequently so I am thinking about tapping into the existing 15A circut for the basement family room receptacles. There are only 5 or 6 receptacles on the circuit.

Does that meet the code requirement? Thanks!

Re: Requirements for GFI/Outlets near sinks

You need to check with your city or county on their codes.

I'm sure more will come on with better answers but it really is your code that is the most important.

shup

Comment

I haven't read the entire 2008 code yet, but the 2005 code (latest up until the 2008, and 2008 hasn't been adopted by all states and municipalities just yet) says you have to have a dedicated 20-amp circuit for each bathroom, and that circuit needs to be GFCI protected. So to answer your question, you really cannot legally tap into that 15-amp recept. circuit, that is adjacent, to power your bathroom. You could pull the light circuit off it, but the outlet will need a 12-2 w/G and the GFCI outlet. Do pay attention to the line and load requirements on the GFCI outlet when you install it, otherwise, it's a piece of cake. And you're best off to use a plastic box rather than a metal one with the GFCI. Cheers.
      Jim Don

Comment

Originally posted by JimDon View Post
        I haven't read the entire 2008 code yet, but the 2005 code (latest up until the 2008, and 2008 hasn't been adopted by all states and municipalities just yet) says you have to have a dedicated 20-amp circuit for each bathroom, and that circuit needs to be GFCI protected. So to answer your question, you really cannot legally tap into that 15-amp recept. circuit, that is adjacent, to power your bathroom. You could pull the light circuit off it, but the outlet will need a 12-2 w/G and the GFCI outlet. Do pay attention to the line and load requirements on the GFCI outlet when you install it, otherwise, it's a piece of cake. And you're best off to use a plastic box rather than a metal one with the GFCI. Cheers.
        Jim Don
        It is not a bathroom - I have a rec-room in the basement and am going to install a sink. I thought it would be handy to have an outlet in case I wanted to run a blender. Most of the time, it wouldn't even be used.

Comment

Sorry, just assumed vanity, sink and recept. was going to equal a bathroom. Still need a GFCI within 6 feet of any sink. Best bet is to ask the inspector, but I would guess you could tag it onto the end of the 15-amp. recept. run that is already there. Unless he wants to be a stickler for code and say that since there is a sink you need a dedicated 20-amp ampliance circuit nearby. But he could go either way on this one. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
          Jim Don

Comment

it does not have to be 20 amp it will be ok to tap on to existing circuit just make sure it is gfi

Comment

Working...
            X