Info Request - Associated BT9 Battery Load Tester

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info Request - Associated BT9 Battery Load Tester

Have any of you ever seen a battery tester like this one?
    I know it's a vintage item and while Associated Equipment is in business today,
    they have no info about this model other than that it's got to be over 40 years of age.
    Any info you can share would be great.

Associated Equipment Corp.
    Saint Louis, MO
    Model BT9
    Tests 6, 8 and 12 Volt lead-acid engine starting batteries
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Woussko; 06-24-2008, 03:30 PM.

Re: Info Request - Associated BT9 Battery Load Tester

first I know nothing of the load tester in the picture, but more than likely all it is is a glorified volt meter with a resistance heat load of given amps and the voltage gage in the front is calibrated to indicate if the battery is good or poor under load,

many of the 50 to 100 amp load testers of to day look like the picture attached, and that is all they do it is to simulate the starter load cranking the gas engine, some of the more modern ones are stepped in scale to indicate approximate motor size by volume, such as a 350 cubic inch motor would take more cranking power than a 200 cubic inch unit,

the one you have will still give you a basic condition of the battery and if it need to be replaced, if it is properly charged up, all so good just for a voltage tester

there are larger ones up to 500 amp, and have some adjustment in them for matching the load to the battery or batteries as in the picture, most modern ones also have the scale to show if the alternator is putting out the proper voltage.

hope this helped some,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BHD; 06-24-2008, 03:52 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

BHD

You're correct in that it is just a DC Voltmeter with a heavy wire resistive load. I was trying to find out what the actual load would be at both 6 and 12 Volts. I can figure it out or maybe someone at Associated (They are still in business) can look up the info. With this one there's no way to disconnect the load and just have a Voltmeter. That's no problem as normally I connect a digital meter to the battery terminals anyway.

Thanks for your reply.

For serious battery testing I take the battery to a dealer that has an Autometer SB-5 adjustable carbon pile load tester. 0-800 Amps and a good 0-16 Volt meter. You set the load based on the CCA rating of the battery and it must hold a minimum Voltage of X based on temperature. The load test is for 15 seconds. I'm sure you know all of this good stuff.
      Last edited by Woussko; 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Woussko, try here;

http://www.vintagemanuals.com/index.html

they have mostly ham radio manuals and electronic test equipment and don't list your particular battery tester but they have tons of manuals for old test equipment and it might not be listed in their index.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Bob D

Many thanks and I'll give them a try soon.

Comment

That's a dangerous tester - no cable clamps and no momentary contact switch Looks like carbon arc welding tips. That's just what you need around batteries - SPARKS!

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
              That's a dangerous tester - no cable clamps and no momentary contact switch Looks like carbon arc welding tips. That's just what you need around batteries - SPARKS!
              Yes, Hydrogen + Oxygen + Arc = KaBoom time

No way am I using it. It's strictly a collector's item. For any real battery testing I use an adjustable carbon pile load tester and a good fan. The load is reduced to zero for connecting and disconnecting. It has good clamps on the cables too. This old tester is IMO a KaBoom Master. I guess if you had forced air flow you might get away using it, but I really don't need a flash in my face.

Shhhhh ___ Don't tell anyone but the cables have been removed. They were on it only for pictures.

I called Associated and got an old tech on the phone. After my describing it to him well, he remembered it. Load was about 200 Amps for 12 Volt battery and 100 Amps for 6 Volt. I GRRRRR about the dangers and he said to remember that years ago people did many foolish things, especially with heavy duty chargers and many paid the price too. Poof & KaBoom

For everyone: Have you ever seen what happens to a lead-acid automotive battery if it ever does get a direct short across it? I hope you were at a distance and didn't get blasted. Once some time ago I had it happen in an older car where the cables shorted together. NOT fun ... NOT fun at all ... Blasted hood off car!!! The only good part was that it happened with no one in or near the car. Yes sometimes people get lucky.
              Last edited by Woussko; 07-19-2008, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X