X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming an Electrician

I have a few questions for yall. I'm currently in the Coast Guard but I get out in a year. I would like to start getting my stuff together to become an apprentice when I get out. I'd like to at least apply for my apprentice card now and get some paper work rolling if possible. I'm not sure how it works though, do I have to be actively working as an apprentice to get my card and paper work? Where do I even apply to to get my apprentice stuff started? I just dont want to be left in the dark when it becomes time for me to get out of the military. Any help you can provide I'd appreciate.
    I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.
    Woody Allen

Re: Becoming an Electrician

Ccntact your local IBEW, they are in the phone book.

Comment

Here in the state of Connecticut in order to get an "offical" apprentice card to be an electrician such that the time you work goes towards the taking of your E2 test, you MUST first have enrolled in a school of some sort that is acredited by the state taking courses as an electrical student and second you must be duly working in the field with a licensed electrical contractor.

The state does NOT give apprentice cards out to people just wanting part time work as an electrican. They want you to be actively working towards putting in your hours. This means being enrolled in school OR you have already taken the required courses and now want to work.

Here you go to the labor dept. to get your apprentice card, but you need to show proof you are working in the field and have attended school or are attending.

In Ct. you need 8000 hours as an apprentice before you can take your E2 test

Comment

Thanks guys, I figured I'd have to be working in the field I was just wondering.
        I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.
        Woody Allen

Comment

I Know its a poor substitute for actually getting hands on training or going to onsite school but Im in a very isolated area here in Alaska and was wondering if any of you also had any suggestions for online schools just so I could get started. If you think itd be a better idea not to start school lik that let me know too. Thank you again
          Woody Allen

Comment

In my opinion, I think any action you are taking towards learning the trade is a plus. Even if it's just reading about electricity and circuitry and learning the basics about wiring. It shows initiative and can't hurt when interviewing for your first position whether that's with the IBEW or in a merrit shop. Looking into a trade school would be the best thing to do and once you are enrolled you would want to look for a job. Another way to get started is relentless job seeking until you find someone desperate enough to hire a green laborer then just hustle, hustle, hustle until you make a name for yourself. From my experience a lot of employers will pay for you to learn if they think you're a good investment.

Good Luck to you and remember that most things you value take time to acquire.

Carl

Comment

Check out these sites:

http://www.uavip.org/

http://my.helmetstohardhats.org/SkillsTranslator.aspx

In some trades you can get credit for some of your service time and schools.

Since you are interested in the electrical field also think about working for one of the electric utilities. Electric power generation is not going away anytime soon, it is projected in the industry that demand will increase by 30% by 2024, that's only 16 years from now. There are 30 new nuke plants in various stages of planning. Sombody has to help keep them running.

You'll find a list of the various trade unions and some other groups here:
              http://info.helmetstohardhats.org/content/trade-unions/
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by camcroteau View Post
                I have a few questions for yall. I'm currently in the Coast Guard but I get out in a year. I would like to start getting my stuff together to become an apprentice when I get out. I'd like to at least apply for my apprentice card now and get some paper work rolling if possible. I'm not sure how it works though, do I have to be actively working as an apprentice to get my card and paper work? Where do I even apply to to get my apprentice stuff started? I just dont want to be left in the dark when it becomes time for me to get out of the military. Any help you can provide I'd appreciate.

Do a search for IBEW (name of your city)...call them

Comment

Working...
                X