Not a neutral

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a neutral

The "NEC" wants us to use "GROUNDED CONDUCTOR" in place of the outdated phrase "neutral"

Re: Not a neutral

Welcome to the forum if nobody's said that yet.
    From your post, I take it you're not too happy with the phraseology required by the NEC. IMHO too many people don't understand the role of the "neutral" in electrical's role. It is a current carrying wire, and most people don't get that. They think since it is bonded to ground in the panel that it's role is duplicating that of the ground wire. I think all the NEC is trying to do is to further specify the role of the neutral wire by calling it the grounded conductor. NEC is a lot like SCOTUS. NEC will do something but not explain why they did it. Same with SCOTUS in their decisions.
    Again, welcome,
    Jim Don

Comment

Welcome to the forum. There are times I wish they would change the NEC to where the neutral would only be bonded to ground right at the transformer and no other place. At the point of service entrance you would keep neutral insulated from ground and everywhere you run anything from there a grounding conductor would be required no ifs ands or buts about it. As for the grounding at the service entrance this would be connected to several ground rods near each other and also to your water pipe just before the main shut off valve. In addition a jumper would be required if there's a water meter, water filter or such. And finally a cold water pipe really should not be counted on for grounding anything. People with well water systems in many cases do NOT have a grounded water system unless they make efforts to ground it after any devices including water treatment devices.

To make this more simple the codes need to be revised and written in more basic English and also have good pictures. Elimination of doubts would be great.

What everyone must remember is that a grounding conductor is not a return. Except under fault conditions no current is to flow through it. It's there only for safety.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grunter View Post
        To make this more simple the codes need to be revised and written in more basic English and also have good pictures. Elimination of doubts would be great.
        So your saying make it so any person can read it and understand it? Then why would we electricians be needed and why would we be paid what we are if anyone can do it.

The wording is the way it is to eliminate any doubt. Their are still a few "gray" areas in the code book, but those are becoming increasingly less and less. What few do still remain I believe may intentionally be gray areas. The code book is very specific and worded very intentionally so as to eliminate confusion. If you don't understand the wording, such as grounded conductor vs grounding conductor, you have no business being an electrician at all.

Jeff

Comment

are us plumbers the only ones to have an option to purchase an illustrated code book?

this takes away most of the confusion and interpretation of the code.

a good book for an apprentice or journeyman or inspector.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by piette View Post
            If you don't understand the wording, such as grounded conductor vs grounding conductor, you have no business being an electrician at all.

Jeff
            I'm not one. I'm just a big mouthed **** head
            Last edited by Old Grunter; 08-10-2008, 07:32 PM. Reason: Language issues

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              are us plumbers the only ones to have an option to purchase an illustrated code book?

this takes away most of the confusion and interpretation of the code.

a good book for an apprentice or journeyman or inspector.

rick.
              Nope, we also have an illustrated version of the National Electrical Code available. I keep a soft bound in my work van and keep the illustrated in my office.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by piette View Post
                So your saying make it so any person can read it and understand it? Then why would we electricians be needed and why would we be paid what we are if anyone can do it.

The wording is the way it is to eliminate any doubt. Their are still a few "gray" areas in the code book, but those are becoming increasingly less and less. What few do still remain I believe may intentionally be gray areas. The code book is very specific and worded very intentionally so as to eliminate confusion. If you don't understand the wording, such as grounded conductor vs grounding conductor, you have no business being an electrician at all.

Jeff
                You're, not your.
                There, not their.

Perhaps if one doesn't understand basic English grammar, he has no business being an electrician...
                Last edited by Newman; 08-10-2008, 09:05 PM.

Comment

a good discusion on this
                  http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=78067
                  Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                  attributed to Samuel Johnson
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

"becoming increasingly less and less"....
                    is that the same as becoming many fewer and fewer?

Comment

Working...
                    X