X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• daisy-chain electrical outlets

I want to put three 220V 20A outlets on one circuit, and three 120V 15A split receptacles on another circuit, and mount all the outlets on a stucco wall in my garage to the left of my sub-panel. I want to run THNN wires in EMT and am wondering if I can just daisy-chain the electrical boxes together with EMT as shown below and run the wires through like a raceway. In some case THNN wires would enter and then leave an electrical box without making any connection inside that box.

[120V]======[220V]======[120V]======[220V]======[120V]======[220V]======[sub-panel]

I realize I would need to observe the rules concerning quantity and gauge of THNN wire in a given conduit size. I know this can work electrically but I just don't know if it violates the code.
    Looking forward to your feedback,
    Andrew
    Last edited by athuswal; 08-21-2008, 07:19 AM. Reason: diagram needed fixing

Re: daisy-chain electrical outlets

Are you intending to feed all of the receptacles from one 2 pole 20 Amp breaker or have several breakers?

One thing you may consider and I'm not sure if your area allows then are special #5842 dual Voltage receptacles. You will need to be careful about wiring them correctly.

Rating: 20 Amp. 125/250 Volts --- They also come in brown. Leviton (and others) make them for sale in the USA.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Woussko; 08-21-2008, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Hi Woussko
      There are two circuits, one for 220V (2 pole 20A), and one for the 120V split (2 pole 15A). I am aware of the receptacles that you have referenced. I actually need to have two 120V circuits and one 220V circuit on that wall in my garage so I can run a shop vac and a router off separate 120V circuits simultaneously or a table saw off 220V.
      Thanks for your suggestion.
      Andrew

Comment

What you want to do is basically just run more than one circuit through a single conduit. Yes that can be done as long as you observe the conduit and box size for the amount of wiring you intend to run.

Comment

I see in the diagram three 120 outlets, making the split from top to bottom in each receptacle. Are the 3 220 volt recepts fed from one breaker, and is there a chance you might use more than one at a time?

Also since some are 220 and others 120 I would use different style receptacles for each, nothing gets your attention like accidently plugging in a 120 volt router into a 220 volt recept!

Comment

Also since some are 220 and others 120 I would use different style receptacles for each, nothing gets your attention like accidently plugging in a 120 volt router into a 220 volt recept![/quote]

If you use the correct receptacles, that would be impossible.

Comment

Working...
            X