Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220 volt garage line add on

Hello,
    New to the forum. I want to add a 220 line into my garage for an air compressor I just bought. All locations in the current breaker box are filled. Main switch in the box is labeled 100 amps. Questions: Can I add a line to the garage? How would I do this? What info do you need to walk me through this?
    Any help would be appreciated. BTW.. I am capable of doing the work. Just need to know the correct way of approaching this with safety first.
    Thanks
    Joe

Re: 220 volt garage line add on

Originally posted by kris1165 View Post
    Hello,
    New to the forum. I want to add a 220 line into my garage for an air compressor I just bought. All locations in the current breaker box are filled. Main switch in the box is labeled 100 amps. Questions: Can I add a line to the garage? How would I do this? What info do you need to walk me through this?
    Any help would be appreciated. BTW.. I am capable of doing the work. Just need to know the correct way of approaching this with safety first.
    Thanks
    Joe
    I know you will take this wrong, but I'll say it anyway because I don't want to see you or anyone in your family hurt. You should invest in the services of a licensed electrician for this job. Too much at stake as far as safety, and not just in the installation of the breaker in the panel or running the cable out to the garage. Do you plan on getting a permit and having this work inspected that you are contemplating doing yourself? In most states you can work on your own home but that does not exempt you from getting permits or inspections.

If no what will happen if an electrical fire starts in your house? The Fire Marshall and Insurance Investigator will be looking at the condition of the wiring during their investigation. When your new cable and breaker are discovered there will be questions. How will they know the stuff is new? It's not difficult to tell, even after a fire.

Unapproved work could equal no insurance payout.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now, and give an answer your question.

"Any help would be appreciated. BTW.. I am capable of doing the work. Just need to know the correct way of approaching this with safety first."

The safest way to work would be to shut down the power to the panel while you are working in it. Then you won't have to worry about working around energized circuits. Do all the new work downstream of the panel first so you can work it cold (de-energized), then make the tie-in. This will reduce the downtime for the main panel and all the circuits supplied by it. As far as the rest you are capable so I don't need to tell you what you already know.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Yes to hiring a good licensed electrician (You can work with him and save some $$$ and total work time.) and yes to shutting off power before starting work. You have to protect people before all else.

As to adding on, you may as well plan on a small sub-panel in the garage. That is a project in itself.

If all breaker spaces (main house load center) are currently in use this can be a problem.

Unless all of your heating devices/appliances are gas or oil fired more than likely you'll sooner or later end up having to heavy up your incoming service and install a new main load center. Now might be a good time to seriously think about it and that is sure not a DIY job.
      Last edited by Woussko; 09-14-2008, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Can you post a pic of the inside of your panel. You may be able to free up a spot by installing thin breakers (two breakers in place of one)
        If not then you need to install a pony panel in the basement and then run to the garage with one 220 circuit or another panel in the garage.
        Pull a permit, they are there to help you with these decisions and give you peace of mind when you are done, I have never had an issue with an inspector on a home renovation as long as you are willing to do the job correctly

Comment

I've trained 100's of apprentices learning the electrical trade, residential wiring is fairly simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Vineck View Post
            I've trained 100's of apprentices learning the electrical trade, residential wiring is fairly simple.
            But, have you trained them over the net, with the job sight unseen.
            I'm all for helping people that know the right questions to ask, but to ask how from start to finnish to do a job is not something I offer!

Comment

Originally posted by jbfan View Post
              But, have you trained them over the net, with the job sight unseen.
              I'm all for helping people that know the right questions to ask, but to ask how from start to finnish to do a job is not something I offer!

Teachers don't wait for the right questions to be asked. This isn't a difficult task

Comment

Originally posted by Vineck View Post
                Teachers don't wait for the right questions to be asked. This isn't a difficult task

If you are so against these guys not explaining it to him, then why dont you? I am a strong believer that this is a job that easy enough for a compitent person who is not an electrican to complete, but just telling him colors and what goes where isnt a good idea. I know what I know from experience and from reading. When I was at the point he was someone could have typed me a 4 page instruction manual and it would have confused me. I would never have come on a forum like this one and asked such a general questioin. When I first got into it I spent hours reding books and websites and hours talking to licensed electricians that I know. THEN if I had a question I would feel comfortable asking a forum. Someone who doesnt know the difference in a hot and a neutral, or what a red wire is for, or why neutral and grounds are on seperate bars, or any other details like that can easily get into trouble by following internet directions on how to install a 220v outlet.

Comment

Working...
                X