Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric water heater

Okay here is what happened.
    Two months ago we had a new service panel put in the house by a electric contractor. Tonight the water heater just fried itself at the heater controls.

I came home and noticed there was no hot water so went to the panel and checked the breaker. It was tripped. I threw it back on and heard frying sound and the lights flickered and so I tripped it back to off. Went in and the panel for the controls was fried inside and outside. It was still smoldering so I ripped out the insulation and doused it with a extinguisher.

I have never had any problems with this heater and it is about 5 years old. I know they could go out at any time but have NEVER seen one do this. Any Ideals would be appreciated. I don't want to call the contractor until I've heard from some of you guy's.

It is on a 30 amp breaker which is new but again have never seen this before. This the 2nd one in 15 years and I drain it every year. The manual calls for a 30 amp breaker.

Hope to here any thoughts on this. Thanks, shup

Re: Electric water heater

If it's a whirlpool water heater, say no more; it's a common thing.

If you're talking about upper and lower thermostats frying, then it possibly could of been a upper thermostat malfunctioning and burning both of them up...

took a long time to send the message back to the breaker panel.

People think breakers never go bad but I'm testament to my last encounter with a electric water heater that they do.

Make sure it's grounded at both the panel and the ground screw inside the electrical connection box at the heater.

Any storms recently?
    Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

was it just the panel they replaced? or did they pull new circuits/ wires to the heater?

was there any water leaking onto the heater thermostat?

could have been a loose connection on the controls/ thermostat that caused a lot of heat to build up?

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.
        I know brand new breakers can be bad and that they really can go at anytime and heaters can also. I've just never seen one fry like this.

When I had the panel done he put in all new breakers and left the old ones with me. Also could not see any leakage around anywhere.

Also the wife told me it is at least 10 years old so not only was it do to go, I need to go see about my lame memory loss.

Comment

the serial # usually has the date code on it.

what is the make and ser#?

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
          X