X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling cable and wire in cable trays and conduit

Wire pulling in cable trays and 2" and larger conduit with a replacement pull string can be very time consuming. Not necessarily pulling the wire through the cable tray or conduit but untangling the replacement string pulled with the wire.

You see as the wire is pulled along with the replacement string it twist and turns as its being pulled thus wrapping the string around the wire. Depending on several factors such as length of the pull, corners, wire type and amount of wire being pulled it can take an hour or more and many trips up and down ladders just to untangle the replacement string.

Some fellow workers and I designed, built and tested a device for pulling electrical wire through cable tray's and 2" plus larger conduit and at the same time pulling in a replacement string for further wire pulls without the string getting tangled in the wire.

The hours we saved during 1 week were aprox. 10 hrs just for one worker. These lost hours could have been used pulling more wire or used else where thus greatly improving production. We have let other electricians use it just to get unbiased opinions and all that used it liked it very much.

Our prototype has pulled over 1.5 million (yep that’s MILLION) feet of cable and shows no sign of wear.
    You can see it at www.thewyng.com

Re: Pulling cable and wire in cable trays and conduit

I have a couple of questions. First of all why not just use a swivel to prevent twisting? If you have to pull back for any reason wouldn't your device catch a coupling due to the outward pressure?

Comment

Frank,
      Sounds like Spam.

"Can you smell what the Rock's cookin?"

Ah, yeah, sure, it be a Spam sandwich on toasted white bread with melted cheese on top.
      Jim Don

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        I have a couple of questions. First of all why not just use a swivel to prevent twisting? If you have to pull back for any reason wouldn't your device catch a coupling due to the outward pressure?
        We have tried using a swivel but it still allowed the wire to twist and turn in the cable tray and conduit.The twisting and turning of the wire/cable is what causes the pull string to become wound up in the wire/cable. Yes it could catch a coupling if the coupling was not fitted right. The curved ends should allow the tool to back out of a properly fitted coupling.

In cable trays it will catch on the tray and not allow you to pull back very far.

Here is the History of the WYNG

I and my 2 friends are Limited Energy
        Electricians in Eugene Oregon. We were working at a new hospital (Sacred
        Hearts in Springfield, Or) and had been pulling cat 6 cabling through cable
        trays and conduit for over 3 months. I think at that time we had pulled
        aprox. 800,000' of Cat 6 and another 200,000' of wire for access control and
        CCTV. We just got tired of constantly getting up on 10' ladders and
        untangling the pull string from the wire and cable so we could continue with
        our wire pulls. It took us anywhere from 1/2 - 1 hour just to get the string
        clear enough to continue our wire pull. After we had our new tool made ( it
        was really a rough looking tool) we tried it out and it worked. Mind you it
        did take quite a few tries to get the design to where it worked.
        What it does is as your pulling the cable through the cable tray it keeps
        the cable or wire from turning and twisting and at the same time keeps the
        replacement string away from the wire. It works going around corners also.
        The only time that it failed was when the cable tray had a dip in it greater
        then the width of the tool and if you did not have a cleared pull string to
        start with.
        we had pull over 2 million feet of wire ( the total wire footage was
        somewhere around 4 million feet) with the tool and it had not failed as a
        tool.
        It's true that we saved the company an average of 10 hours/week/person and
        the safe working conditions improved because we had less time working from
        ladders.

The name "THE WYNG" seem to just fit and I played around with the spelling
        to make the name unique. Other names that came up were "The Wishbone" and
        "the Pro Cabling Puller".

I can get statement from electricians from other companies to verify all this.

Woussko and JimDon its' not spam it's just a tool.

Comment

It sounds like this was made for pulling low voltage cable.

Comment

Working...
          X