Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2 GFCI per 20amp circuit?

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
    This thread is making me want to barf again.

There is nothing wrong with connecting a 20 Amp GFCI receptacle so power from it feeds a second 20 Amp receptacle. With that said you should not connect up a GFCI receptacle so it feeds another GFCI receptacle. You can have several GFCI receptacles on the same circuit, but just don't series connect them. In the last case each would trip and have no effect on the others.
    i completely agree. all in all, if you have no idea what you are doing, let a professional do it. is saving a couple hundred bucks really worth your life and the lives of your family???

Comment

I don't know where you guys are getting your information, but there is not a technical problem with feeding a GFI from load side to another GFI.

Again, this is a poor wiring design, but it WILL work.

Comment

Reviewing my post, I think the wording may be confusing. Let's see if this helps.

1. When I said not to connect up GFCI receptacles in series, I had in mind where they are connected so that if receptacle #1 tripped all the others would be dead. It can be done, but it's not wise.

2. Why waste the $$$ on several GFCI receptacles when one can take care of several basic receptacles connected to the load side?

3. What I had in mind was that if you wanted each GFCI receptacle (several) could be wired so that if one did trip all of the others wouldn't be effected.

The member suggesting the hiring of a good electrician rather than taking risks has a great point. Never put safety below $$$. You can't replace people for any amount of $$$ and maybe having a fire sure costs more than what a good electrician would. I have a feeling the person starting this thread wanted info as to what is OK, not OK and maybe OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          Reviewing my post, I think the wording may be confusing. Let's see if this helps.

1. When I said not to connect up GFCI receptacles in series, I had in mind where they are connected so that if receptacle #1 tripped all the others would be dead. It can be done, but it's not wise.

2. Why waste the $$$ on several GFCI receptacles when one can take care of several basic receptacles connected to the load side?

3. What I had in mind was that if you wanted each GFCI receptacle (several) could be wired so that if one did trip all of the others wouldn't be effected.

The member suggesting the hiring of a good electrician rather than taking risks has a great point. Never put safety below $$$. You can't replace people for any amount of $$$ and maybe having a fire sure costs more than what a good electrician would. I have a feeling the person starting this thread wanted info as to what is OK, not OK and maybe OK.
          Agree on ALL points.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
            I don't know where you guys are getting your information, but there is not a technical problem with feeding a GFI from load side to another GFI.

Again, this is a poor wiring design, but it WILL work.
            agreed this is a poor wiring design. just out of curiosity, have you ever seriesed 2 gfci's, and why would you? was the OP asking if he could parallel 2 gfci's and then series 9 or 10 outlets off of the load side of each gfci?? are we even making any progress???

Comment

Originally posted by Raydaniel13 View Post
              agreed this is a poor wiring design. just out of curiosity, have you ever seriesed 2 gfci's, and why would you?
              I have never intentionally installed them like this, but I have replaced and re-done quite a few. DIY'ers like to get this one wrong from time to time. And by wrong I mean poor design.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Petey View Post
                I have never intentionally installed them like this, but I have replaced and re-done quite a few. DIY'ers like to get this one wrong from time to time. And by wrong I mean poor design.
                I ran into like this more than once in both USA and France so I know many DIY try to save theirself few extra bucks but it never always work that way due pretty good percentage don't read the CODES first a good DIYer will read the codes and ask the question before they do something some area is pretty much off limit that should be done by Electrician.

Merci,Marc

Comment

Working...
                X